Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

07 Expedition EL

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 07 Expedition EL
    Posted: February-12-2007 at 11:12pm
Has anyone looked at the new Expedition EL?

I was price shopping Expeditions for my wife and saw a few new EL's on Ebay, which I didn't know was an option and thought I'd see here if anyone else had looked at them?

Is this the first year for that model? It looks to be about the same size as a Suburban but I thought that was what the Excursion was competitive with. Anybody? Thanks d
Danny

"no offense- but the rate at which you spread bad information is very impressive"    
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 8:13am
Im not thoroughly familiar with it, but the EL is now the direct competitor for the Surburban/Yukon XL. The Excursion has been discontinued.

Motor Trend preferred the EL to the Burb when they did a direct comparison a few months ago. Not sure if that will change when the GM's are available with the 6.0.
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 8:53am
Your right TrBenj.
After a little searching this morning I finally found where the EL is suppose to replace the Excursion. It's Looks as though it will be available with a diesel also. I remembered the Excursion was axed in late '05 (think) and now the EL will fill the void.
Ranking against the the long loved Suburban looks good too.     

Don't know if that's what we'll buy. I love the Suburban, but always been a Ford guy. Wife has been looking at the Expedition on her own. The EL got my eye. Seems as though my wife's friends all drive Tahoes and Suburbans and she thinks there to "trucky" looking inside and out. I'm just amazed she's ready to give up her convertable for an SUV.

Anyway, for anyone who is curious.. This is what caught my eye.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Expedition-Eddie-Bauer-2007-Ford-Expedition-EL_W0QQitemZ280080036303QQihZ018QQcategoryZ6011QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Danny

"no offense- but the rate at which you spread bad information is very impressive"    
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 9:47am
Z71 Burban baby !!!! Go with the tried and true !!!

Moj
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 11:08am
Yes Moj' one fine looking ride.
Wifes car, wifes choice.

My question for you is why the Suburban has only 7200lb gvwr, while the Tahoe has a rating of 7500lb gvwr? Sounding old here, but "back in the day" the Suburban was listed as the "ultimate" tow vehicle. Now, with no offense intended, the Suburban has become the new yuppie puppy and has shed it's burley take no prisoners attitude to somewhat of a home makeover conformist!
If I'm towing anything of substance, wheelbase is what I'm looking for. I suppose the 'burban is 300 lbs heavier than the Tahoe.
I will say from my mechanics standpoint that the GM engine in design is more favorable than the new Ford engines in design as well as parts reliability. d
Danny

Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 12:09pm
Duffnit,
I'm not sure why these two vehicles show different tow ratings for the same engine.. That is if you are comparing the same engine..

Also, please remember there where three versions of the Suburban (1500, 2500 and 3500) basically the same ratings as the pick ups..

The "ultimate tow vehicle" also needed to be set up with big motors like a 402 or 460 motor, trans cooler, HD brakes etc etc..

People liked the Suburban because it was the "Largest" thing out there, with a huge wheelbase that makes it stable with the longer, heavier trailers.. I had a Tahoe before the Suburban with the same engine and toing my 26 foot Cobalt, it was all over the place on a down hill or heavy braking condition.. The Burban doesn't sway at all..

In my opinion of friends that have had the Expedition as well as Excursion... My preference is still the Suburban.. But hell, I tow a block, so .... My wife wanted it for the cargo and kid room..

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 12:13pm
1 ton Suburban? Are you talking about those dually conversions from the 80s or new(er) ones?
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 2:42pm
Moj' now that you mention it, the ultimate vehicle did require the extra goodies.
I read an article in Motor Trend or such that took the two (Tahoe & Burban) and simply used the two factory ratings for the above mentioned gwvr. From what I recall it was the same option package. I just thought it was odd.

I seldom tow my boat's anywhere except on the rare occasion I carry one for shore fueling. Typically I use an old 8N tractor to launch and load.
The EL caught my attention because I hadn't seen one. My wife thinks she want's an Expedition for the simple reason it appeal's to her. When I tow I use my F350. The Tahoes and Suburban (my favorite) don't appeal to my wife.

Hollywood, I'd forgotten all about those monsters. I don't recall seeing many of those ever. The ultimate tow vehicle ad I remembered had a large camper, about a 36', an average size v-hull, probably an 18', and a utility trailer with a few dirt bikes in unison. The Burban was loaded down with a family of 6, the cargo bay full as well as the luggage rack maxed out while towing up a steep mountain grade. Guess it impressed me early on since I can still remember it. That was the pitch... "The ULTIMATE Tow Vehicle". d
Danny

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 3:41pm
duffnit, if your wife decides on a ford let me know. If you don't get A,X, or Z plan already from familiy or a friend. I would be happy to help you with an X plan. If you make it to a dealer to buy a new one that is. Just ask what the x plan price is.
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 8:09pm
Thanks 87 BFN, that is a generous offer.
What is an X plan?
There is a gentleman locally who has deals with about every type of dealership and has a volume dealer discount. The last 4 trucks and 1 car I've purchased I bought through him. Even the used buisness vehicles I've purchased he has been able get a better price than I could work. If Ford offers (or others) 0%, rebates and such, those are available with his deals as well. He and the dealer split the hold back and myself and others are able to purchase new vehicles at dealer cost.

If an X plan is as good, I'd definitely be interested. d
Danny

hspore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hspore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 9:03pm
A good friend of mine waited three months to finally get his special ordered Expedition EL...it's spent more time in the shop than in his garage. He regrets ever trading in his Tahoe. I've had a 99'Expedition, 2000 Tahoe, and presently an 04' Suburban.....and definitely spent more money on repairing the Expedition than on the Chevy's combined. I like my 351 in my Nautique, but Ford has some quality issues to contend with.       
Heath
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2007 at 8:12am
Sorry Heath, but I just can't quite buy that. I'm at 313,780 miles this morning and counting. You had a bad one and maybe so did your buddy, while I've got a very good one. I've got a small fleet of work trucks with 6 Fords and a Dodge running 50K+ miles a year and my ears may be specially tuned like yours, but to hear the opposite. Trying to say one of these is better than the other I feel is pointless, and an endless argument. All personal preference. The GMs have had, and esp right now, some excellent styling down to a tee, but I'm willing to bet the EL will come close to doing what the mundane dinosaur Excursion didn't/couldn't. I'm probably the most narrow minded, tunnel-visioned Ford guy out there, so please bear that in mind. MTC.

Oh, and I forgot to add that I just read you can get the EL with a diesel? And a smaller 4.5L diesel at that, but still 300HP. I feel the U.S. has been fuelish compared to the rest of the world in terms of smaller vehicle diesel options, esp in trucks.    
ReidP
1973 Mustang

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2007 at 9:35am
I know you can get an excursion with the diesel i dont know about expedition, thats a nice option,
Im glad you guys are talking American cars
"the things you own will start to own you"
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2007 at 10:39am
Fuelish! Excellent point & pun Reid.
I guess we've all had less than perfect vehicles at some point. As Reid addressed, most auto makers are in line with each other in price, features, consumption, and quality.

Apparently for whatever reason my wife likes the Expedition. If she wants it she can get it. I hadn't seen the EL before, but I like it. If my wife wanted a Tahoe, I'd want the Suburban, I don't know why, personal preference. At the end of the day, zipping through town, parking at the mall, going to the grocery store, they all did the same job. My wife is accustom to a 2 door convertable. I already know that whatever she chooses to purchase it will be somewhat cumbersome in comparison to her little convertable. This is why I am helping her shop. Whatever she decides to buy, she's gotta be happy! d   
Danny

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2007 at 11:10am
Hold everything on the diesel EL. While I just read it this morning online, my dealer just informed now that it's not confirmed and you can't order one just yet. Sorry.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

hspore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hspore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2007 at 5:34pm
I hear you Reid, and I didn't mean to come across as bashing Ford. I've had several Mustangs that were great and a Z28 that was a nightmare. I'd like to see Ford put a diesel in the Expedition and Chevy to offer one for the new Suburbans. Like you said, it's all personal preference.
Heath
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2007 at 6:36pm
duffnit, just ask the person at the ford dealership to tell you what the x-plan price is on the vehicle that your wife chooses, the more options the bigger the discount. See what kinda of deal the other guy you can get you. The x-plan will still give you all factory rebates and incentives.
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2007 at 9:05pm
87BFN- You are very generous to offer the X plan to people on this site. This is not the first time you have thrown it out there. I have owned alot of Fords and I'm sure I'll own some more.

How many times a year can you employ the X plan? What if someone needed to use it for a fleet purchase or a business vehicle (not me)? Just curious and thanks for being so generous.

-JMurph
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2007 at 5:00pm
I get 4 or 6 a year, 4 of them for sure and sometimes I get 2 extra depending on what ford wants to do. I throw it out there for guys on this site because alot of other guys give us their discounts on parts, labor, and most important free advise.

Just trying to do my part. Fleets, depending on the size of the fleet and what your buying may be better to get a fleet deal trough the dealership. AS for business vehicles it depends on who's name the car goes into. If you put it in the business name I would have to check, but if you use it for busniess but put it in your own name. I can give the x-plan for that.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic