Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting Problem - 1995 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starting Problem - 1995 Ski Nautique
    Posted: December-22-2006 at 4:30pm
Hey Folks - I'm new to this forum and am a new (used) Correct Craft owner and need some helpfull advice.

I picked up my first boat, a used 1995 Ski Nautique, after years of bumming rides off my skiing buddies.

The previous owner informed me of an occasional starting problem he had but that he was never able to resolve checking out the electrical system. I have experienced the same problem a handful of times, although intermitent.

Boat won't start, or even turn over, about 4-5 times a season. After repeated attemts of taking key out, putting key in, putting throttle in nuetral, checking the kill switch, etc. it will finally start. So far it has been nothing more than an inconvenience, but want to resolve the starting problem before I am in an emergency situation and I can't get the boat started.

Thoughts?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2006 at 9:51pm
tnplicky, welcome to CCFan.

If you could give us a bit more info, it would really help.

What engine do you have? GT40 MPFI, ProSki TBI, Proboss? Does the engine have the Protec ignition?

What exactly happens when the boat doesnt start? Does the engine turn over, and simply not fire? Or is it completely dead? Do the gauges respond?
jos1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jos1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2006 at 5:19am
I have a 91SN, i first changed the starter relay because occasionly boat didnt start 1 out of 20 i think, wasnt disturbing.
Later the key switch got defect on the last day of the holiday, after a few minutes i found out turning back the key a few degrees started the boat so also the last day was saved. At home i took out the key switch, changed to a industriel switch to set the contact, and mounted a pushbutton to start it, wich gives a easy start also for my wife. Its only a 3 wire so easy to find out.
jos
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2006 at 7:50am
tnplicky - the next time this happens to you try bypa$$ing the nuetral safety switch on your transmission. Mine got to be quite an anoyance before I bypa$$ed it for good and did away with it. I do NOT recommend for you to do the same though. Replacing the switch (if it is bad) is a much better course of action. Good luck and happy boating!
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2006 at 9:50am
Originally posted by jos1 jos1 wrote:

changed to a industriel switch to set the contact, and mounted a pushbutton to start it, wich gives a easy start also for my wife. Its only a 3 wire so easy to find out.

I love the start button idea. If I didn't have the keypad system anyway, I'd totally implement this.
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2006 at 12:36pm
The engine is a Ford / PCM 5.8 Pro Boss w/ ProTec ignition.

When it doesn't start - it does nothing. It doesn't turn over or anything. Not sure on the gauges - I think they work when this happens, I 'll have to pay more attention next time.

Again, I've only had this happen a handful of times. And after fiddling with the key, throttle and kill switch numerous times, it will eventually fire up like nothing was wrong and will run fine/start until the next incident weeks later - very ,very random.
jos1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jos1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2006 at 2:25pm
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R130001

Change the relay $32,- only and you know.
Part will not stand for 11 years for sure.

Gave me, the nothing happens thing also, 1 out of 20 as i said.

jos
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic