NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

marine plywood?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Yak3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yak3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: marine plywood?
    Posted: December-18-2006 at 7:44pm
a question for those in se wi, where do u get your marine plywood?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2006 at 4:36am
http://www.harborsales.net/productsandservices.cfm

Yak3, Make sure you use marine ply since it is manufactured with very high standards. The two most important are its lack of voids in the inner laminations and the adhesive bonding.

What are you doing with it? Pete

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2006 at 7:22am
Yak3, If you are looking for Fir ply, then it's made in the states and will have a "1-95" designation. Don't let the guy at home depot or the lumber yard fool you into buying exterior grade because its "just as good".

If you are looking at a tropical hardwood ply, then it will come from overseas and will have a "BS1088 WBP" stamp on it for marine grade.

Harbor sells both exterior and marine so make sure when you make the selection that it is marine. Don't forget to tell everone what you're working on. Pete

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2006 at 7:45am
These people have been very good to deal with.
Pontoon stuff . com
1-877-295-9522
Elkhart , In.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2006 at 8:52am
8122, its been discussed on here that marine ply is basically the same as exterior, only with fewer voids. Its been said the same type of waterproof adhesive is used in both. Can you confirm that?

Im sure the number of voids would be very important if the wood was used to lay up a hull- but if only used for a floor, exterior grade would be sufficient, no? Should be a lot easier to find locally, and cheaper.
Yak3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yak3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2006 at 9:06am
thanks guys, i'm redoing a floor in my 79 CC. I'll post pics when i get a chance. I'll try them waterdog. I want the stringers to be one piece of wood, it's just hard getting a piece that long.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2006 at 9:18am
Yes, Marine grade plywood and "exterior" grade plywood both use waterproof adhesives. Marine grade plywood will rot just as easily as exterior grade. However, marine grade plywood is consdired a "structural" plywood in that it has no voids and thus no weak spots. Furthermore, it is made up of more laminate layers (seven in lieu of five, I think). I also think it is only available in 3/4" thickness (not sure on this one).

Marine grade plywood got it name because at the time, it was the only plywood available with waterproof glue. However, now it is just considered a structural grade plywood and a very costly piece of plywood at that.

I am sure I am missing some details, but basically, that is the meat of the differences.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2006 at 11:38am
- Marine Plywood -
The invasion was lasting longer than expected, and the Marines needed some plywood to weatherproof their headquarters. A sergeant and three good men were sent out with a 6x6 truck to steal the plywood from the nearby Army base. All was going well, they had found some plywood and loaded it on their truck, when two MPs drove up in a jeep, demanding to know what was going on.
Marine Plywood
This was clearly one of those critical moments when the success of the mission was at stake. It was up to the sergeant to apply all his long experience of military matters. "Oh," he said, thinking quickly, "we were looking for somewhere to dump this scrap plywood."

"Well, you're not dumping it here," the MP replied, "take your truck and your plywood and get off this base."
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2006 at 12:07pm
TR, The reason I asked YAK what he was using it for was to determine if it was a structural application or not. Yes, exterior grade ply should have the same adhesive as marine if it is made in the states and graded as such. There are some fir ply imports that may be listed as exterior but I wouln't trust the adhesive. Pete

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2006 at 6:19pm
All exterior plywood has the same glue. Building codes made that the change in hurricane country. Marine plywood is for building wooden boats, and you can get it in 12' lengths too. Treated plywood is good for flooring your boat, marine plywood would be wasted money. Treated lumber now is salt treated, used to be treated with arsenic, that's why you shouldn't burn it and stand around and breath the smoke.
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2006 at 4:25am
Yak3, This is getting complicated!! You should have started with saying it was for the floor but at least now everyone knows about plywood again! Exterior from Home Depot.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Yak3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yak3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2006 at 10:57am
damn that was expensive...oh well...hopefully only have to do this once...i've ended up taking the old fibergla$$ sides to the stringers down pretty far, there's about a 1/4 left of them. I didn't quite go as far as 79skinautique did, but am darn close to it. I'll try to post pics soon.
ccskier16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccskier16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2006 at 9:07pm
Senn Plywood and Door 262-786-1200 in New Berlin
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2006 at 5:36pm
For the wood portions of my floor (87 SN), I am using 1/2" plywood. Not marine, army, or outdoor. Just plywood. I am laminating what will become the bottom with epoxy resin and 9oz gla$$. I am laminating the top with epoxy resin and two coats of gla$$. I am laminating the edges with epoxy and one coat of gla$$. When finished, it will be as strong as 3/4" plywood (much lighter) and truly water proof. Untreated wood absorbs the epoxy much better than does treated. It is more expensive because of all the epoxy and gla$$, but lightweight and water proof are worth the extra cost to me.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2006 at 8:16pm
SkiBum, when you install the new floor, try to make sure the outside edges against the walls are a little higher than the inside toward the bildge. That way water wont stand out on the edge.
Tim D
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2006 at 8:31pm
That is a good idea. I am also "sculpting" channels in the area between the primary and secondary stringers holds the exhaust, as well as the small hole at the engine compartment so water will run out and not pool.
Bill
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2006 at 9:35pm
When I removed my floor several years ago, I found shims between the floor and stringers where it looked like someone tried it.
Tim D
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2006 at 11:33am
No shims here. I will simply add a little extra height to the outbound stringers. Then attach the floor a bit higher on the hull. Shooting for 1/4" difference.
Bill
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic