Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your first Boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 91011
Author
stepper459 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2018 at 2:41pm
Don't think I've ever come across this thread before. But I do have some old boat pics from the past.

We used to have a few Lymans around, small outboard lapstrake runabouts built in Ohio (where my father was from). My grandfather loved them. In my memory there were 3: the green one, the white one and the black one. The black and white ones spent most of my childhood in our basement stacked on top of each other. We played in them like a fort, it was great. Then when I was maybe 10 we set about getting one of them going, I painted it red, then eventually blue, although it was always still called the White Lyman.

My grandfather driving it when it was white;

This black one supposedly came to NH from Ohio on a train, way back who knows when.

We eventually gave the black one to a (maybe the only?) Lyman enthusiast who restored it and an old engine we had (a SportFour, 18hp - according to my grandfather). It's apparently quite rare in the Lyman world, but then, that's a small world. The same guy said the 10-footer (the "white" one) had to be pre-1930 because he's not aware of any of that size produced after that date. Pretty cool! My father used it as a kid on Lake Erie, and had put a crude layer of fiberglass over the outside of the hull when he was about 12.

I had a red 16' 1972 Starcraft with a 70hp Suzuki, but can't find any pictures. We also had a 13' whaler with a Tohatsu 40hp. Then, the first boat I REALLY bought with my own money was this gem, a 1981 Century Riviera.

Powered by a Mercruiser 470 and a lot of 70's/80's styling, this boat was comfy, fast, relatively quiet, and totally impractical. But it was fun. I owned it when I met my wife, but we hardly used it in favor of borrowing various CorrectCrafts we had access to, including a '66 and an '89.

Then I had my '89 Supra from 2006 - 2017.

I did love that boat, but not everything about it by any means. The gigantic bow storage was nice, but I'd rather have interior / cockpit space.

Then the Nautique, which I love and will probably never sell. Famous last words, I know.

Almost forgot, my father now has this 1958 Thompson - it's replaced the Green Lyman as his favorite, mostly because of the windshield.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2018 at 4:54pm
Great post Stepper. Those old Lyman's are unbelievable.

Really happy to see some new life in this old thread. There are couple thousand members here and only a fraction have shared their stories.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

stepper459 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2018 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Great post Stepper. Those old Lyman's are unbelievable.

Really happy to see some new life in this old thread. There are couple thousand members here and only a fraction have shared their stories.

BKH

Thanks. My father grew up around boats, and has always had a passion for them. He and his brothers used the Lymans on Lake Erie as kids, and actively tried to break them or flip them, to no avail. My father built the canoe you can see in some of the pics above, and used to have a small wood boat and canoe building/repair business in the garage where we worked on the white one.

I guess you could say it's in my blood.
Timr71 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timr71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2018 at 7:55pm
[QUOTE=86BFN] Thought I'd throw these up.

And here in the water with overlook in the background.

It's unfortunate that 86BFN hasn't been on this forum in the past couple of years.

This pic was taken in the middle of that calm water on the left side of this pic:

This is the view from my cousin's deck. It would be off the left shoulder of the last guy on the right of the original pic.

and this was me going towards the bridge/area over their shoulder
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2021 at 7:34pm
Saw some folks posting pictures of their first boat.

Add your story!

BKH
Livin' the Dream

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2021 at 2:53pm
I had added pictures a few years ago but it looks like they went away with the web crash last year.  I will try again.
First ski was behind my aunts tri hull in 1967 with a 4 cylinder inboard outboard.  I was 10.  Next time we were behind my brothers first boat, a 13'6" Javelin, a short sporty wood hulled boat with a 75 Evenrude.  Far too much engine for that boat but we were able to ski.  I don't have pictures of that boat.  In High School one of my friends dad had a 16 foot fishing boat with a 35 HP outboard, we skied a lot behind it but you had to come up on two skiis and drop one to ski single, any hard cuts would slow the boat till you almost sank but it was fun and we used it many times.   My first boat was the 1978 Ski Nautique, a unique nautique, it was stolen and re painted to hide it.  Recovered 2 years later and I bought it in 1982.  This explains my unique paint job, it was done by the theifs but I think they did a great job.  The boat looked good on the water.   Sold that in 1990 and bought the Malibu Skier which we kept till 2013.  It skied great with a nearly flat wake but did not handle like a Nautique.   Sold it to buy our current 1995 Ski Nautique in 2013, a Christmas present.  Found this boat with only 99 hours total and it had been stored inside for 20 years.  Very happy with this boat.

Edit, working on adding photos, it keeps rejecting them so I need to re size.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2021 at 5:55pm
My first boat was built by Carina and was an inboard "tunnel hull" V-Drive powered by a Ford 460.  The boat was not a true slalom tug, but it had a reasonable wake and we put many hundreds of hours on that boat.  I wish I had a good picture of it, but I can't seem to locate one.  I found a photo of a similar Carina on the internet and it looks reasonably close to mine.  My boat did not have the rear hand-rails.  The boat was brown and white gel coat with burnt orange shag carpet in the interior.  1976 icon.

The boat had the removable hard-top as shown in the picture.  There were 3 tie-down points to secure the top on the boat -- one tie-down in the middle where the top meets the windshield and one on each gunwale.  Once, while trailering the boat up to the lake, we forgot to properly secure the middle tie-down.  When we arrived at the launch ramp, we discovered that the hard-top was no longer attached to the boat.  On the trip home, we spotted a mangled hunk of brown and white fiberglass on the side of the road.  We kept going.

Another great memory was learning about the drive-shaft packing and how to adjust the gland nut.  We were maintenance idiots and the extent of our routine maintenance meant filling the gas tanks.  One afternoon we brought the boat up to the beach with the bow on the sand and the stern (with underwater gear) safely over 3 feet of water.  We had a big beach party and when it was time to go, we realized that the a$$ end of the boat had sunk and was sitting on the bottom.  It took 20 guys heaving and pulling to get the boat up the beach far enough so that we could bail out the water.  As it turned out, the shaft packing was letting in a bit more water than just a drip or 2 per second...

JQ

Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2021 at 8:49pm
Great thread
My first love is the 67 ski nautique with the mopar RR la318 as seen here on CCF
My first Chrysler, very lucky Always mopar now, do not be afraid of Chrysler in a correct craft
I grew up around ski boats on berryessa in Cali. So I figured a old ski nautique (curved windshield) would be good start point.
Holy cow x10 I feel like I scored
spoink47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spoink47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2021 at 5:23am
Great pic, Jonny Quest! And the color looks cool
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 91011
  Share Topic