NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Extractors

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extractors
    Posted: November-06-2006 at 11:05am
I need a little help from the members, more mechanically inclined the better, but all suggestions will help.

1998 K1500 pickup with 5.7

Heater hose, flowing from engine to heater core was slightly leaking at the fitting on the intake. I go buy new part, put socket on old part, turn about 1/20 of rotation and the fitting snaps off. Metal was corroded and soft. Threads are still in intake and about 1/4 to 3/8" is outside/still visible, can grab. I tried slowly tapping with hammer/flat head screwdriver but metal was soft and bending. Soaked with liquid wrench and came to work in another vehicle. don't have a picture handy but it is approximately 3/4 - 1" wide. I started looking up extractors on the web but was wondering if anybody had a special trick or piece I should try.

Thanks in advance,
               Kurt
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 11:52am
PLBC; this is what i have done in my shop,hacksaw blade,cut two places 180 degrees apart. cut till you see threads,STOP.Then with a small chisel roll the fitting inward. Grab pieces and turn, then buy a pipe tap,1/2" npt, i think, chase threads,install new BRa$$ fitting. end of problem........ boat dr   
Furno View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Furno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 8:22pm
I had the same problem and used the same hacksaw trick. It worked great, but take your time. One additional note - after making the cuts and before starting with the chisel, push a small rag into the broken off fitting, leaving some out so you can pull it out. This will prevent any small pieces from droping into the intake.
Andy

'83 2001
Soulscream View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soulscream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 8:39pm
Home depot sells a pvc extractor for less than $10, It might be worth a shot. Just stick it in and turn counter clockwise, and it will not ruin any threads. We use these for broken gas pipe stubouts, and they work pretty well.
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 9:53am
Soulscream, I'll probably have to go that route.

boat dr, I tried your method (sounded good) until the metal just crumbled, no me gusta. Thanks for the tip though, I am sure it will be useful someday.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 11:38am
If the metal is soft and bending then get a vaccum out have someone hold the hose close to the work, Use a cone shaped reducer to increase the sucction at the end. cutting up a plastic funnel and duct taping it will do the job just don't get the opening too small size of a quarter is small enough. then start collasping the fitting and pull it out. using some needle nosed vise gripes to hold it while deforming, try rolling it into it's self like a roll pin is made and it might come out in one big piece.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic