Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1990 BBC 454 Drain plugs

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
99airwarrior View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 99airwarrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1990 BBC 454 Drain plugs
    Posted: November-29-2023 at 2:35pm
I have a 1990 454 BBC that does not have a drain plug on the port side, I have a clear view of the whole block. on the star side it has the normal 1/4 inch drain plug on the port side all it has is the small oil. galley plugs  1/8 plugs evenly spaced no drain plug any where. Tried to remove the 1/8 inch drain plug along the rail with heat no luck. I do not want to drill it out if its the oil gallery because of metal shavings. I need help thank you Joe
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2023 at 4:33pm
I'm really surprised by that.  My 1986 had the normal plugs both sides, I can't remember the exact location and don't have it any more.  I'm going to see if I have any pictures that show it.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2023 at 4:47pm

Don't know why the image flipped.  Engine is probably a 1980's.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 99airwarrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2023 at 4:53pm
63 Skier if you google it, every block has two a lot of pictures exactly where it should be.  I worked in the Marine industry for many years and winterized many craft and never seen this before. The block is actually in my 1970 Chevelle. removed the header everything on the drivers side which is the left side of the block. Thank You for the response. Joe
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2023 at 5:02pm
Seems impossible the block could be lacking it when new, any chance someone filled it with weld at some point?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2023 at 6:02pm
And here I thought I had the only 454 block with only 1 block drain.

Same as you Joe, just nothing there. Must have been a hungover Monday morning block.

Since it was going into a boat, I figured a drain on that side would be kinda handy.

The solution at the time was to pop the rear freeze/core/casting plug on that side and make a "custom" plug with a drain in it.

It worked good, left a little water, but some antifreeze took care of that when winterizing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 99airwarrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2023 at 7:03pm
Keno I am so thank for you. You know how many times I ask for help and the Mod would tear me up for it on other sites.  I figured people would think that I was crazy. I think I have winterize hundreds of watercraft and never see a block without a drain. I had that block boiled and bored 60 over and then built the rest it was not going in a boat so I never checked the drain plugs. The Chevelle has been sitting for 8 years in my shop and I wanted to change the antifreeze. Thank You to all members. . Joe
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2023 at 1:23am
Wow, a Nautique forum helps a 1970 Chevelle 454 owner.  For the record, I want your  car!   Glad you found an answer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 99airwarrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2023 at 2:12am
I am also a Nautique owner on a Chevelle forum also. I am on 6 different sites and nothing compares to this Site, because of the  people and its Mod Keno he should do classes how to treat members and make you feel welcome nation wide and this world would be a better place,  for me anyway I guess I am just old Joe 
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2023 at 7:02am
Hey, who you callin' a Mod?  That's Hollywood's pretty boring job around here.

Just one of the members of what I've heard called a "niche" little website that will just never survive things like Facebook groups etc. 

It's hanging in there pretty good though it seems. Wink
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2023 at 9:23am
I believe it "hangs in there" because of the great knowledge that is shared by the likes of you Keno.  your advice is well thought out and always spot on.  Thanks for that!
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2023 at 11:31am
Ken gets one thing right in 19 years on the site and everyone is high fiving him.  I don't get it. LOL

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2023 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Ken gets one thing right in 19 years on the site and everyone is high fiving him.  I don't get it. LOL

One thing in 7116 days......it had to happen eventually Wink
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2023 at 11:15am
I’d like to know the casting number of the blocks missing drain plugs. I have noted a few differences in mark iv’s with different castings, mostly in the oil filter/port area… though I’ve not noticed any differences among blocks with the most common casting number (14015445), including the 2 drain plugs.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2023 at 4:06pm
My engine was an old Mark iv that had the old casting number system

All I remember is it started with 399. and I don't have it any more.

It was a short block from a truck that came from a machine shop and they couldn't find a drain on one side either, so the price was reduced some.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 99airwarrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2023 at 4:52pm
The story with my block it was a seasoned block had it sonic align bore ect  no discount for me. If you google it people say is a weak block, but I believe different and the engine is just 650 hp. 300hp nitrous bore 60 over, Top of the line  parts made in USA from 20 years ago. the number is  10069286 1990 IV 454 sold over the counter  but this was a seasoned block if anyone interested for more information, I do understand this is a Nautique Site.  Thank You for the opportunity to share Joe
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic