NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Small tug for moving boat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Small tug for moving boat
    Posted: September-13-2023 at 11:13am
Hey brain-trust, I'm giving serious thought to storing my boat in the garage this winter. However, with my garage bays being side-load from the driveway, and only 9 foot width doors, I don't have nearly the space to get the rig even slightly straight enough to back in.

I used to have a hand-held tug years ago to move small planes. Looking for something similar, prefer electric, that will hook to the ball mount.

Something like this, which is overkill from a capacity standpoint:

Thanks, Ultra.

S
1980SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2023 at 11:54am
Here is a manual one in your neck of the woods.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1128094558162577/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post

Didn't see anything on craigslist or offer up. Ermm
1980 SN Project
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2023 at 12:20pm
Thanks for that. That will be a lot of pushing!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2023 at 6:14pm
I don't know if the first one you posted is quite as overkill as you might think.  No you won't be anywhere near the 900 lb. tongue weight, but if the boat/trailer is around 3,500 plus lbs. you aren't all that far from the 5,000 lb. GVWR for the tug.

Seems expensive right up until you hurt your back trying to drag it around by hand.

An alternative if you have a friend nearby with a decent garden tractor you could tow with that.  I've towed a bunch of boats around with '90's and 00's era Cub Cadet garden tractors, on a decent surface they do just fine even though it is certainly more weight than they are designed for.  Or if someone has a small bucket loader you can put a ball in the bucket, pretty easy to maneuver facing forward as you push the boat.  Just a few thoughts.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2023 at 8:30pm
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2023 at 9:26am
with a front receiver on your vehicle, one can maneuver with both precision and vision
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2023 at 6:16pm
This is what you need.  I found this several years ago on craigslist.
The more tongue weight the better it pulls.

Tim D
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2023 at 6:51pm
YES, exactly!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2023 at 7:06pm
Well here's the thread he got his picture from complete with the name of the outfit and a link to the website is there too Wink

link to old thread

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2023 at 5:26pm
I too am working with a 9 foot door, no straight shot,  an uphill driveway, and to make it more difficult a tandem trailer.  I just get the back of the boat through the doors and push it the rest of the way.  Those dollies sure look convenient, but don't where I would store it.  I'm not getting any younger.  Would be interested how yours works out.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2023 at 10:46am
Ok, so, after eye-balling and taking measurements from my side-load garage to the hill, I figured I'd have enough room to get the boat backed up, then unhook, and reposition my vehicle, without going down the hill into my neighbors house. And it worked! It's going to be toasty warm for the winter, and can even do a few things to the boat and trailer. YAY!

67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2023 at 9:34am
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

with a front receiver on your vehicle, one can maneuver with both precision and vision

My trick too, on a Tacoma
Or my riding lawnmower
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2023 at 10:12am
Agreed. This was not that hard, and cheaper ;-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic