NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission is toast..

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission is toast..
    Posted: November-03-2006 at 4:39pm
I finally got my trailer painted so I pulled the boat this morning....

I ran the motor for about an hour moving the boat lift. Just when I was getting ready to put the boat on the trailer it started knocking. Just a large thump every 2-3 seconds. I shut it off as soon as I heard it. When I got it on the trailer I started it up with the engine open. Every time it made this thump the prop shaft lurched.

I guess I will add the trans to the list of projects!

Tim
1987SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1987SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 8:45pm
Tim,

I have a Velvet Drive 1:1 from my 1987 SN for sale. A couple years ago the driveshaft was spinning while it was in nuetral. I ordered a few hundred bucks worth of parts from SKIDIM then moved to Iraq for a year. While I was gone my father-in-law rebuilt the transmission with the parts from SKIDIM. When I got back, it seemed to be working fine. On our second set the rear seal popped out. Put it back in and it happened again.

Inside are all new parts. I am sure there is a simple explanation that somebody who knows what they are doing could fix easily.

I lack those skills. I used my life savings and bought a new one from SKIDIM. Now, I am trying to sell this one. I am asking $325.00 and I'll pay the shipping. It is 98 lbs so most of the cost will go to shipping.

Bill
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2006 at 11:30am
bk your damper make of took a crap, if bk doesnt want the trans, i may take it and if anyone needs one ill offer the same deal but I'll rebuild it and sell it for what i would have in it some where around 2000 grand lol      
bill, give it a week or so and if you still have i"ll take it
"the things you own will start to own you"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 8:56am
Eric-
How much am I looking at for a new damper plate?

I really did not plan on pulling this thing out right now!

Tim
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 9:25am
anywhere from 40.00 to 80.00 bucks, snap a pic for ID    troubleshoot trans more thorough in case, it does sound like a damper
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 10:43am
Eric-

Ill probably pull it in the spring and just rebuild the whole thing. Will it hurt to run it to winterize with the bad damper plate? Will I do more damage?

Thanks
Tim
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 12:27pm
nope
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 6:12pm
Well after some research about damper plates the reason it is fried is because of me or my throttle cable.

The past two sessions on the water gave us some problems with the cable. After skiing for about an hour the cable would get stuck with the RPMaround 1200. I would turn off the boat and re-adjust. Eventually the throttle would re-adjust itself and go back to normal. Of course then the idle was too low...

I left it because we were done skiing. The last day I took it out I had problems again.... I drove it to the ramp... so thats how the damper plate is messed up.

I guess I will pull the tranny and put a new TELEFLEX cable back in, not any more of that U-FLEX junk, FYI. I wrote ski dim and requested them to carry some high quality cables.

Tim
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic