Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Brake Lines for #3 correct craft trailer

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
PeedyD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeedyD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake Lines for #3 correct craft trailer
    Posted: August-29-2023 at 5:33am
Hi all
I imported a 1989 ski nautique and a number 3 corect craft trailer into Australia some time ago. Its time to replace the brake liners. So far I have been able to find bearings and seals from a local provider however it looks like I will have to replace the brake liners. Does anyone know the part number for this antique part and a company who would have these brake liners in stock and willing to ship them to Australia? I tried to search for an existing thread but only found 2 results which happen to be unrelated. Perhaps you guys have a different term for the piece of metal which houses the brake material into the inside of the drum. Or point me to another thread.
Cheers
PeedyD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeedyD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2023 at 5:36am
Sorry I meant Brake Liners
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2023 at 9:32am
In the crazy USA, they are called “brake shoes” in a drum application.  For disk brakes, they are called “brake pads”.  Try modifying your search using “drum brake shoes”.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2023 at 10:00am
If you're unable to locate locally, try etrailer. They always seem able to come through.

etrailer.com
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2023 at 5:43pm
I searched many parts stores trying to match up to my old trailer, finally went into a local Napa, Old guy behind the counter looked at the shoes as I laid them down and did not even say hello.  He went back into the store and came out with the exact shoes I needed?  I asked how he did that, he looked at me like I was a dummy.  Said that is just an old Ford Shoe nothing special.   Most brake pads and shoes use an industry standard part on the Steel the lining is bonded to.  Common number would be something like a 252 or some similar number.  If you find that number the parts stores can match up easy for you.  Many Brake companies use the standard number in the part number they sell today.  If the brakes are apart look for the stamped number on the steel shoes.
Without numbers you look at diameter,  usually 10" or 12", width of the shoe, usually about 2" and then they can match up the pattern on your steel shoe to take care of you.   Providing you have a good parts man and not the usual you find at the chain stores.
Most trailer builders do not re invent the wheel, they just grab a brake that works and use it on their trailers.  The old Ford Shoe was used on many Ford cars in the 60's and 70's so parts stores still keep them in stock.  Some will ask if you want them bonded or riveted.  This is personal choice both work fine but many trust the riveted ones more than bonded due to many bonded failures when they were first sold but that history is at least 40 years old.  Bonded brakes work fine also.  FYI  ALL disc brakes are bonded today, every car has disc brakes, the brake material does not fall off, bonding works when done correctly.

PeedyD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeedyD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2023 at 4:08am
Yep should have thought of that. Will do. Thanks
PeedyD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeedyD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2023 at 4:10am
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

In the crazy USA, they are called “brake shoes” in a drum application.  For disk brakes, they are called “brake pads”.  Try modifying your search using “drum brake shoes”.

JQ
Yep Should have thought of that, Will do Thanks
PeedyD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeedyD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2023 at 4:11am
I will check them out. Thank you.
PeedyD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeedyD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2023 at 4:16am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

I searched many parts stores trying to match up to my old trailer, finally went into a local Napa, Old guy behind the counter looked at the shoes as I laid them down and did not even say hello.  He went back into the store and came out with the exact shoes I needed?  I asked how he did that, he looked at me like I was a dummy.  Said that is just an old Ford Shoe nothing special.   Most brake pads and shoes use an industry standard part on the Steel the lining is bonded to.  Common number would be something like a 252 or some similar number.  If you find that number the parts stores can match up easy for you.  Many Brake companies use the standard number in the part number they sell today.  If the brakes are apart look for the stamped number on the steel shoes.
Without numbers you look at diameter,  usually 10" or 12", width of the shoe, usually about 2" and then they can match up the pattern on your steel shoe to take care of you.   Providing you have a good parts man and not the usual you find at the chain stores.
Most trailer builders do not re invent the wheel, they just grab a brake that works and use it on their trailers.  The old Ford Shoe was used on many Ford cars in the 60's and 70's so parts stores still keep them in stock.  Some will ask if you want them bonded or riveted.  This is personal choice both work fine but many trust the riveted ones more than bonded due to many bonded failures when they were first sold but that history is at least 40 years old.  Bonded brakes work fine also.  FYI  ALL disc brakes are bonded today, every car has disc brakes, the brake material does not fall off, bonding works when done correctly.

Oh yeah, you are the man with the info. Thanks so much. If I can get these locally I will save a heap on shipping. Cheers Mate
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic