NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PARK JOB

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PARK JOB
    Posted: August-13-2023 at 12:49am
We went out this morning for an early ski run.   Came around a corner and I saw what I thought was an early riser who had his boat tied up to shore while he set up his gear for a day on the beach.   As we got closer I could see no people anywhere around this boat.  Closer still we see a boat 25’ out of the water on a peninsula that had been under water but no longer is.   They must have hit it at real speed to run the boat that far out of the water.   The propeller and rudder were fully buried in dirt, the rear of the boat was sitting on the dirt.  This was a Vdrive Ski Sanger, in perfect shape, exterior and interior were perfect as we walked around it.   They had been out digging with shovels trying to dig a trench behind the boat back to the water so the prop and rudder would not drag as they pulled the boat back towards water.  They had several plastic 1.5” poles with the boat I assume they thought they could reduce drag as it was pulled back into the water.  We saw it at 8:30 in the morning, when we left at 11 AM it was still sitting with no body working to free it.    I think if it was my boat I would have been out there working.but who knows they might all be at the hospital after this grinding stop.   I have Pics, I will try to share.
Mark
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2023 at 9:19am
My brother in law bought a newer boat in/out board at whiskey town
We’re riding along, told him do not drive between shore and the little island
He did of course, we stopped dead tore transom drive off
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2023 at 10:33am
Movie Stripes quote:
“Hey!  You can’t park here”
“We’re not parking here, we’re abandoning it here”
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2023 at 1:26pm
I have tried a couple times and the photo load does not complete.  I guess I will need to go back and read the new photo upload instructions since the old way is not working.  Followed steps 1-8 easy enough, posted and it says they will appear after I post or preview the post.  Hope it works.

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2023 at 1:48pm
Deleted double post
Tomrupp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomrupp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2023 at 1:52pm
They almost made it.
Tom
94 Ski Nautique Open Bow 351 with Carb
95 Double Decker Aqua Patio with 50hp Honda (3 carbs).
Wilhelm Hertzog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2023 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Tomrupp Tomrupp wrote:

They almost made it.

😂
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2023 at 4:45pm
Funny the pictures worked both times but after loading them they only showed up on my computer as an X with a box around the X.  No photos were viewable till I came back in this afternoon and checked.  Glad it worked, sorry for the double post.
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2023 at 7:53pm
WOW !!  I can't even imagine . Just hope that they are all ok . 
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2023 at 10:19pm
Funny looking Brendella.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2023 at 11:25pm
Yeah Tim, Ken already pointed that out so I fixed it.  Both were made in the Merced/Fresno area only a few miles apart.  Malibu and Centruian are from there also.   I kind of think of them all the same.  It is a Sanger.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2023 at 8:30am
So close yet so far.  Hope no one was hurt.  
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2023 at 10:00am
Omg. was the dirt bar submerged or they just drove up on land
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2023 at 11:08am
The lake is dropping about 6” to 1 foot per day right now.   The boat is about 2 feet above the water surface.  I can say it was not there Tuesday but it was there Saturday at 8:30AM.    I did not see any interior damage at all, no blood stains so that is good.   The dirt was soft enough for the Prop and Rudder to submerge in it full depth so it was either still covered in water or recently exposed dirt.   Someone had been out there with shovels trying to dig trench to drag the boat backwards to the water.   They did not finish the trench and I can’t see where the boat has moved at all.   Some low life had been in the boat trying to steal the speakers front he tower.  We could see cut wires.   It was a very well cared for boat.  Looked brand new even up close.   While out there skiing that day we kept kicking around ideas on how to save it if it was ours.   We came up with several and I am sure if it was ours we would get it back on the water.   My son told me to find the owner and buy it.  Not to own but to repair and sell.   Have not been back out to see if it is gone yet.   I know the Marina owner I should call and check on it.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2023 at 1:30am
Personally I would be a little scared of that project. Everything under boat is probably bent   Actually love the Sanger too
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2023 at 8:08am
Well, I think I have this all figured out

I'll guess that "Sanger Guy" had his redneck cousin Billy Joe Jim Bob with him and he let him do some driving.

BJJB had one of those moments and forgot what he was driving and thought he was in his own boat and the results weren't quite the same..

Here's a link to BJJB doing some river cruisin' Wink

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2023 at 10:30am
Ken. Hold me beer
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2023 at 11:02am
Looks like fun but I bet the Jet Pumps need and overhaul after all that shallow water.   They used to tell us a jet pump could suck a rock off the bottom in 3 feet of water.   Or running the sandy rivers like we did all the time in the 70’s and early 80’s the sand would clearance the pumps till they needed a new wear ring.  Fun to watch though.  Order me up one of them Jim Bob machines.
Tomrupp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomrupp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2023 at 11:36am
Yessir! Looks like fun. Too much prop / jet wash in the wake though….
Tom
94 Ski Nautique Open Bow 351 with Carb
95 Double Decker Aqua Patio with 50hp Honda (3 carbs).
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2023 at 4:17pm
After a little conversation with a guy named Mick from "down under" we decided that Billy Joe Jim Bob thought he was in his jet sprint boat.

After all, they're  V  bottoms with them funny looking roll bars like the Sanger has so he probably got confused and forgot about that prop hanging out the bottom 

link to Jet Sprint boats

Either way, we figure BJJB probably comes from Idaho Wink
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2023 at 12:43am
I have watched some of the Jet boat races, they are great, like the ultimate go cart race.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2023 at 2:13pm
Need a helicopter.

Actually, if it was my boat .... I would have enlisted all the help I could get, a dozen or so guys, and made ways for everyone to get a good handhold on the stern.  I bet you could lift the stern with enough muscle, drag it backwards into the water.

Really surprised the rudder was not ripped off the bottom.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2023 at 6:07pm
With a little gas, the normal extra stuff in the boat it's a little over 3000 pounds and with 3 fins up near the front to drag through the gravel, I think the whole starting lineup for that local 49ers team might come in handy Wink
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2023 at 8:04pm
And to add to the effort as you lift your legs will sink to your knees or more in mud.  The top crusts over pretty quickly but it takes time to firm up after being sumbmerged.   I am tempted to make a run out there and see if it is gone.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2023 at 11:23am
C'mon guys, you'd have to at least give it a try!  Tip it up on one side to get the underwater gear to clear ... or with the trench mostly dug out get plywood under the transom and drag it ... I realize all would likely fail, but the idea of just leaving it there would drive me nuts.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2023 at 12:19pm
I think he almost made it to the other side so I'd dig a trench forward (looks like somebody already started), put down some type of plastic like a cut up bed liner or 2 or 3, then a bunch of pushers and maybe a "thirf" boat or 2 yanking it forward.

I'd give it a try too...........pick me up on the way Dave  Wink
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2023 at 12:48pm
I am all for making an attempt, I do want to add a caution to all of us.   One boat pulling on another is a huge load.   You would need a special tow strap or.a sturdy cotton heavy rope.   I mention this because my little brother is blind from a boat towing accident 40 years ago.    One boat was towing a 23 ft day cruiser with 7 people loaded on it because it ran out of gas.   While towing the day cruiser hit a sand bar that the other boat went right over.   When the boat hit the sandbar the tow rope snapped and cracked like a whip back at the towing boat.   My brother lost both eyes and the bridge of his nose in an instant.   He was lucky it did not kill him.  He was only 10 years old and turned to look back right when the boat grounded.   The rope did not touch anyone else in the boat.    Don’t tow with ski ropes or that type material or if you have to use idle or not much more than idle speed.   His accident was totally avoidable.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2023 at 2:19pm
So sorry to hear that story Mark, just awful to have an avoidable accident change his life.

In a related subject, I bought new retrieval gear for my pickup last fall after reading about a bunch of accidents from people using their tow ball or drop hitch for pulling cars out of trouble.  I now have proper retrieval straps and soft shackles and pull directly off my drawbar.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2023 at 3:29pm
Wow, reminds me of years back we got an F250 stuck to the frame in mud with huge tires on it.  Non of our friends with 4x4's and a winch could move it.   A friend brought in his big backhoe,  put down the feet and buried the front bucket in the dirt then extended the back hoe all the way out towards the Ford.  We hooked a chain from the bucket to the frame of the ford and he started pulling.  We did back up of course but I remember that chain having so much stress on it that sparks started popping off the chain lengths.  The F250 started moving towards us but it was pushing about a 3 foot tall wall of mud in front of it.   The back hoe pulled it out but I have never seen that much load on the chain to where it started sparking.  We were lucky it did not pop and hurt someone.    That was in the day of everyone having CB radios and word got out and before we were pulled free by the backhoe about 50 4x4s of all types had shown up to watch or get involved.  7 or 8 more got stuck trying to get close for a good view.   Got stuck about 6 pm, everyone was not out till about 2 am and LOTS of beer was consumed.  It became an all night party.
I am aware that most receivers are only rated to 5,000 pounds and I have bent one trying to pull a tree stump.   What did they say breaks on the hitch?  The guide pin or the ball?
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2023 at 7:11pm
The one I watched a video on, I believe it was the drop hitch.  Steep drop on a lifted vehicle, I think 6-8" drop, and it broke at the weld, the strap snapped it back to the vehicle and hit the guy in the head, killing him.  Others I've read about sheared the ball flush with the draw bar.

Some may be 5,000 lb. capacity, but certainly many are rated higher.  On my 3/4 ton pickup the factory mounted hitch is certainly rated much higher than that, I don't know exactly.  The draw bars I buy are beefy, I don't think I have anything rated lower than 10,000.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic