Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dunphy X55 found in the woods

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
Wolfix55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfix55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dunphy X55 found in the woods
    Posted: July-21-2023 at 9:16pm

Hello everyone, new member here. In searching the internet for X55 information (in which there is little) the most info I found is here in your forum. I thought I would share this project with you and hope to gain some knowledge here also.
My father found this boat in the Ozark woods in this condition in the early 1990's. 
I will post progress as we go along, I hope you find this interesting.

bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2023 at 10:02pm
Well then, welcome! No where’s to go but up from there!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2023 at 10:05pm
We do find it interesting,post up some more pictures if you have them. One of my old neighbors had one, was continually chasing engine problems. Think he finally gave up because he sold it.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2023 at 6:27am
I guess I'm a little slower than usual this morning, is this a boat that was stored in that condition for the last 30 or so years and you're just getting around to doing something with it or was it restored long ago and we'll see pictures that were taken along the way?
Wolfix55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfix55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2023 at 7:13am
Wolfix55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfix55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2023 at 7:18am
Oops, getting used to this format. It's a little different than other forums I participate in.

Boat was fairly complete, missing bow light, windscreen, instrument cluster, one vent. I see the steering mechanism is there (wrong wheel) but is now missing 30 years later.
That is my uncle rolling that barrel, he is no longer with us.
Wolfix55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfix55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2023 at 7:23am

Unfortunately, this X55 suffered from a little bit of plywood delamination
Wolfix55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfix55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2023 at 7:29am

Engine and trans fairly intact. Exhaust manifolds, generator, prop, prop shaft missing
Edit, I see prop shaft is there, but today it's missing.
Wolfix55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfix55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2023 at 7:39am

Brought back home (150 miles away) piece by piece 
Wolfix55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfix55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2023 at 7:47am

To be assembled here, suburban home basement, no garage door, wall temporarily removed to move large objects in and out. 
Wolfix55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfix55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2023 at 8:54am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I guess I'm a little slower than usual this morning, is this a boat that was stored in that condition for the last 30 or so years and you're just getting around to doing something with it or was it restored long ago and we'll see pictures that were taken along the way?

Kind of both, restoration started 30 so years ago, progressed quickly, then stalled for 30 so years, now has begun again. I will load up pics as I get them. The older pics are non digital photographs, I get them as my father converts them to digital.
I could jump ahead and show you as it sits today, but that is no fun.

Some of the edits I am adding are because I myself have not seen these older pics in 30 years.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2023 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by Wolfix55 Wolfix55 wrote:

[QUOTE=KENO]
I could jump ahead and show you as it sits today, but that is no fun.

Or you could post a picture or 2 or 3 showing it today, so people don't lose interest along the way 

Not being sure how you're posting pictures, I figured I'd mention that you can post multiple pictures in one post.............unless you're working on running up your post count Wink
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2023 at 2:01pm
Wow amazing someone started this restore, very cool
There is a member on ccfan with a Dumphy ??
More pics. Please
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2023 at 8:27pm
Kudos on the SN love it
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2023 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by 67 ski nat 67 ski nat wrote:

There is a member on ccfan with a Dumphy ??

Just 1- morningwood
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2023 at 7:35am
Wasn't there some other guy named Pete?

I think he sold his and bought a pontoon boat though.Wink  Really

There were a couple of others too, but MourningWood is the only one who shows up sorta regularly on CCF
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2023 at 9:13am
Kudos to whoever had the courage to rescue that from the trees!!  More progress pictures please.  A 30 year restoration time frame may be a record in itself.  
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
Wolfix55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfix55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2023 at 10:14am

Was able to re-use the original first two frames, partial of the 3rd, 8th, and 9th. Lofted the remaining frames.
Steam bent oak chines and shear clamp, tried to talk my dad into laminating those pieces, but he wanted to try out his steam box that he built. 

Wolfix55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfix55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2023 at 10:41am
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

Kudos to whoever had the courage to rescue that from the trees!!  More progress pictures please.  A 30 year restoration time frame may be a record in itself.  

At the time this boat was found, my father and I were wood boat fans, we had just completed a 1967 ChrisCraft ski restoration and was in the middle of a 1938 ChrisCraft runabout restoration. One day in the early 90's he and my mother were driving home from our lake house and my mother with her keen eyes actually spotted this wooden boat deep in the woods. Because we had studied the Bob Speltz series of books, my dad realized it was a rare Dunphy X55.  He was able to track down the owner somehow, I don't know how. He bought the pile for $300. That would be 1990 dolllars.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2023 at 11:41am
Love the dedication. Taking a wall down and putting it back up to complete the rebuild in the basement. Reminds me of that guy that built a Countach in his basement.
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2023 at 1:54pm
That countach story is nuts
I’m Not a fan of replicas
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2023 at 5:22pm
Here is member and former owner- 

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Wolfix55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfix55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2023 at 6:32pm

Went with ribbon striped quarter cut mahogany veneer plywood vs the flat cut veneer plywood Dunphy original used.
5200 adhesive used on all joints.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2023 at 8:27pm
Pete sighting!
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2023 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Pete sighting!

Is Pete all original? Asking for a friend.😉
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
Wolfix55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfix55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2023 at 6:59am

As it sits today
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2023 at 12:15pm
Speechless.
That is remarkable.
The woodworking skills are superb.

I also have an X-55 and happy to help in any way.

We're gonna wish Pete was still around here...he's forgotten more about the X-55 than I'll ever know...
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2023 at 8:12am
Pete can be found on the facebooker thingy.
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2023 at 10:22am
If needed,  my friend is sitting on a believer-to-be 292 intercepter,  from a 62 Sabreflight they restored 
Block saw sitting water and the distributer looks corroded in place, but no cracks seen externally  has original trans, intake and sidedraft, front cover and gauge package, and cable tach look in good shape
Looking for a home rather not scrap, looking for someone to take it for modest price just wants to see it go to vintage marine application, not a hot rodder who will scrap the 'good stuff'
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Wolfix55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfix55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2023 at 7:08pm
^ GottaSki, thanks, but I will be able to rebuild my 312. It was actually in remarkable condition considering how it was found. I will post up pics of engine work as I go. I did purchase Barr Marine exhaust manifolds as I could not find any originals. Does the engine your buddy have its exhaust manifolds? Also, what trans does it have?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic