NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dunphy X55 found in the woods

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2023 at 8:58am
Wolf, sorry i missed your reply, deserves a follow up, i failed to check on it aftwards

send me a pm if you would like pictures, we can determine what those components are

i believe is an early variety of the BWVD

logs say interceptor but replacement by osco, and risers say osco.  

gauges are handsome

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2023 at 10:47pm
Since this boat is not going in the direction Pete would have approved (bone stock original), I would opt for a more current Ford 302 with a PCM 40a....
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
Wolfix55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfix55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2023 at 8:08am
Yes, will not be going back to bone stock original, however, already committed to rebuilding the 312

Wolfix55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfix55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2023 at 10:56pm

Working on transmission as I wait for engine block to return from machine shop. Dearbomatic, looks like it has had some water sitting inside. Roller bearing has some corrosion pitting, rest of it actually doesn't look too bad. 
Wolfix55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfix55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2023 at 9:10pm

Cleaned everything up, got lucky and found no damage or any appreciable wear. Clutch plates looked good, will re-use. Seals were soft and probably could have gotten away with re-using but opted to buy new seals and bearings from industrial supplier. Dearbomatic was actually easy to work on. No specialized tools needed. Interesting that the internal pressure line from the pump to the relief valve was plastic tubing.

1980SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2023 at 11:08pm
What a beautiful boat! Your level of craftsmanship is amazing. A man of many talents.
1980 SN Project
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2023 at 1:11pm
Great job thus far....don't know how much (if any) of the transom remains, but there would be a 4-digit number written behind the fuel tank with a black marker. Any chance you have that piece? (It's the hull number), thx.
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Wolfix55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfix55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2023 at 9:06am

Transmission done, replaced plastic pressure line with braided hose. 
Some things I found interesting about the transmission: It is very light in weight, considering its purpose. It is very simple in operation and construction. It doesn't have a traditional thrust bearing, just an average roller bearing to absorb propeller thrust. Also that bearing is not submerged in the transmission oil. From what I see it simply relies on grease for lubrication.

MourningWood, I have the metal ID tag that says it is 5078

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2023 at 9:56am
Really enjoying reading your thread, there are very few people who would have looked at that boat in the woods and thought it was worth restoring.  Amazing workmanship!

I hope you have good luck with your 312, from the skill you have I'd bet you get it running well.  I had the same thought as Brian (MourningWood), would be easy to pop something more user friendly in there, but if like you said the engine is surprisingly intact for sitting in the woods for 30 years why not go for the much cooler original power.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2023 at 2:29pm
Amazing! My boat is # 5080...
I've struggled, and learned, a lot with the Carter YH. They are dangerous in that raw fuel spills out of the aft carb....and right on to the ignition.  Such a danger that the ACBS does not deduct points for alternate carbs. The aft flame arrestor housing is (in later boats) fitted with a small fitting and hose that connects to the underside of the intake manifold...an attempt to 'siphon' away that fuel puddle. Can be minimized by adopting carb settings that do not appear in any manuals...but work pretty well. 

Great job, btw.
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Wolfix55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfix55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2023 at 8:46pm

Well, interesting, my dad just sent me this pic, hull 77. Yet serial no. reads 5078.
Yes, my 312 is equipped with a small 1/16 line from the rear flame arrestor to the vacuum side of the carburetor.

Brian, do you know what the purpose is of the hull fittings that are in the bottom of the steps with a hose up to the rear deck?
I would like to eliminate them if not needed. 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2023 at 12:26am
My understanding is they are to relieve air pressure caused by the steps (although a few have told me that it is overkill)
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2023 at 12:26am
Btw-that photo shows the rudder post bracket that you asked me about...
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

wayoutthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2023 at 4:41pm
Heres a video about those air hoses
https://youtu.be/2rLrRfSyFpU?feature=shared

Heres a page off donzi.net pics and spec sheet wouldn't down load.
https://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?31246-quot-FASTEST-STOCK-INBOARD-RUNABOUT-IN-THE-WORLD!-quot

How do those ventilated steps affect handling and wake ?
How about posting length width depth of the steps,
What's the width of the keel c/w that area?
Is the step deadrise the same as the hull ?

Wooden boats are by far some of the most beautiful hulls ever produced.
Anyone who has the skill to build or rebuild these masterpieces are true craftsman.

Especially like the chris hardtop (which i think was used in "Niagra") and the sedan that looks like a rolls with the open driver cockpit.

Beautiful job, over the top patience, skill and attention to detail, looking forward to updates and more pictures.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2023 at 6:06pm
If only people could agree about whether those vent hoses go to the vents on the deck or just ended inside the boat.

The guy in the video above says they connect and somebody named Pete who used to have an x-55 and used to be here on CCF says they didn't connect.

Who ya gonna believe?

PS .....Craig on the Donzi site went by the name 64X55 here on CCF. He hasn't been logged on in 4 1/2 years or so

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2023 at 7:08pm
FWIW, the hoses on mine stop about 6" from deck underside. And the starboard aft vent is fed by the bilge blower....so IMHO the BalanStern hoses do not connect...
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Wolfix55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfix55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2023 at 7:25pm
^ Guys, thanks for that info, I will install the vents.

Wayouthere, I will get you those measurements

Brian, yes That is the rudder support I was asking about. Looks like we used to have it, I no longer have it in my pile of parts. Those Dunphy parts have been sitting around my dad's basement for 30 odd years, along with a pile of other classic boat parts. The pile got cleaned out and sold a couple years ago, I guess that is were some of the missing parts went to.
Wolfix55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfix55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2023 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by wayoutthere wayoutthere wrote:

Heres a video about those air hoses
https://youtu.be/2rLrRfSyFpU?feature=shared    (Interesting, have not seen that video, wonder if he ever got that kind of speed he was shooting for with what looks like the stock carb setup)     

Heres a page off donzi.net pics and spec sheet wouldn't down load.
https://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?31246-quot-FASTEST-STOCK-INBOARD-RUNABOUT-IN-THE-WORLD!-quot

How do those ventilated steps affect handling and wake ? ( Don't know yet)
How about posting length width depth of the steps, (L16" W27" D3")
What's the width of the keel c/w that area?
Is the step deadrise the same as the hull ? (yes)

Wooden boats are by far some of the most beautiful hulls ever produced.
Anyone who has the skill to build or rebuild these masterpieces are true craftsman.

Especially like the chris hardtop (which i think was used in "Niagra") and the sedan that looks like a rolls with the open driver cockpit.

Beautiful job, over the top patience, skill and attention to detail, looking forward to updates and more pictures.

Wolfix55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wolfix55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2023 at 9:57pm
After sitting in the elements for all those years, the only bad corrosion I found was the valley pan. Leaves were sitting in it and the bottom rotted out.

Standard bore, no evidence of the engine ever been opened. No broken parts, nothing bent, no excessive wear. 

Couple of the cylinder walls that were open to the elements were pitted, so I had the block bored .030", decked, cleaned, new cam bearings.

Crank was beautiful, all I had to do was clean it.

Installed the piston with notches towards the back because this is a reverse rotation engine. Interestingly, Interceptor did not do this, notches were forward. 

Stock valve job.

Wolfix55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfix55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2023 at 4:50pm
Pontiac blue (Yes,I know it is darker than the original Interceptor blue/green)

Reverse rotation engine uses gear drive to turn the cam in the same direction as a standard rotation engine.

Automotive valve covers, will have to add a oil fill port.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2023 at 5:31pm
Looks good-could've emailed me for the Interceptor paint code......?
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2023 at 5:35pm
Is that snow outside of the garage? ...(according to the weather service-0 snowfall so far in Augusta, MO ) possible that these photos are not in 'real' time, but were taken previously?
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Wolfix55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfix55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2023 at 8:50pm
Photo is current, no snow, it's a gravel drive. 
Since this build will not be a correct restoration, I decided to be somewhat creative on the engine color.
wayoutthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2023 at 8:42am
Thank you for that info. Looking forward to the assembly and rigging pictures, shake down will have to be video.
Wolfix55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfix55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2023 at 9:07pm

Mostly done, awaiting some hoses
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2023 at 12:31pm
Who's paint and what color is that? It sure turned out nice you guy's are meticulous 
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Wolfix55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfix55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2023 at 8:25pm
Duplicolor rattle can engine paint, 70's Pontiac blue. It is darker and bluer than the original Interceptor color.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2023 at 8:58pm
Thanks- I'm trying to get close to an Indmar color and that looks like it would be good match.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
1980SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2023 at 5:11pm
What a beautiful engine, nice work!
1980 SN Project
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2023 at 9:15am
Look what I found on YouTube Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjfRdX4UgzA

Since I was probably the only one that saw Wolfi's link attempt before he deleted it, I figured I'd make a link that worked so everybody could see the engine running

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic