NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Moron venting

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moron venting
    Posted: November-02-2006 at 7:43am
A man from NEW JERSEY sends me a pcm 1.23 transmission, transmission virtually unrebuildable, being the nice guy that I am because we did qoute him incorrectly $650.00 to $750.00 (thought it was a borg) I end up using one of my good late style cases, new drum and all rebuild parts, about $700.00 in parts (my cost) plus my case. Ended up charging $825.00, send it back, he calls and said it was damaged in shipping. long story short. he got ripped off because he didnt get his BAD case back said i sent him a rebuild exchange. now he wants his case back and money and ya know something I'll probably loose my transmission. no names mentioned and sorry for talking about business and cant right this in the certified letters.   
"the things you own will start to own you"
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2006 at 10:27am
Eric, I don't know anything about your business so take this for what its worth.

Sounds to me like the main question is have you been paid anything yet? If so, you can keep your case and tell him to pound sand. If you haven't been paid you don't have many options, will probably have to send him his case to get the money out of him.

It never ceases to amaze me how petty people can be over things like this.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2006 at 10:35am
"All generalizations are invalid, including this one."

However, it must be the neighborhood. Remember the stink last summer from the guy from NYC who thought he was treated badly by one of our favorite boat shops. These guys need to get out and breathe some clean country air now and then.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2006 at 11:21am
79 you hit the nail on the head, over the last 10 years i have had 3 problems, this being one of them, one other was i sent a clutch pack C.O.D UPS for $3900.00 of course to a guy in NJ, the driver failed to get the check, the customer would not return calls and told me the package was damaged blah blah blah. that was a 6 month battle and UPS finally paid me. guess where the third problem was.... you got it. I do deal with alot people from that area and they are some of the nicest people to deal with... one bad apple though.. in my case 3
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2006 at 2:58pm
Eric,
It sounds like it would be cheaper to make it manditory for these guys to pay a slight fee for you to hand deliver the units. This way there is no dispute once the product is there in their hands. At the same time, you will take the check or cash right there as well.

Hell, you can write off the milage through the government anyway as a business expense..

Sounds like you've lost more money on these deals than made.. Maybe this practice willl help. Just a thought.

Moj'

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2006 at 3:36pm
Eric are you mailing these guys a form or contract before you start working on their items. If not I would do so and have it explain right in the contract that they are signing the options they have if something is wrong.

I know from experience with my lawn care business.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2006 at 3:45pm
we do 125 to 150 trannies a year and really have no problems, we take credit cards in 98% of transactions with no problems and the problem with the credit card companies is that the consumer is ALWAYS right, they debit your account then battle later you never get the money once they debit you wrong or right,its the customer that knows this and uses it to thier advantage that was my third situation by the way (american express).
I know the guy from the first post will no doubt do this and like i said I"ll lose the money and the trans. its just ironic on the three customers locations
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2006 at 3:51pm
Eric,

Don't you know that no good deed will go unpunished.

Sounds like you were trying to do the right thing but my experience tells me thats not always the way things work. We have our customers sign off on their quantities, their garment specs, their artwork specs, print colors, production time, etc, it gets rediculous but is neccessary because as soon as you give them a way to stick you they'll go for it.   

I can't count the times I tried to be a nice guy in business and it always costs you money. It's hard keeping the doors open these days, you can't afford to give anything away.

In my business where there is a time factor involved, ie: a customer places an order and it is delivered 2 weeks later, I always get paid atleast 50% upfront and the 2 weeks production time gives the bank time to clear the check. I still have to hope everything goes ok when delivering the order but atleast I've gotten my cost of goods out of the job by that point.

We do offer free shipping with orders that are paid in full when they are placed.

Magicman's famous last words " And How would you like to pay for that?"

And yes. I'd rather have a check than Credit card

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2006 at 8:03pm
Al, it comes down too people who know how to work the system with the credit card thing, Its not even an issue about the money, if you checked my blood pressure today it is off the charts. for the most part boaters are a different cla$$ of people i mean that in a positive way, alot are very appreciative and you never expect to have problems and we really never do 99.99999% of the time. Most of the time during the summer your just trying to get them thier trans as fast as you can, and the quickest way is the credit card.I really in my thoughts try to get the trans to them as fast as i can and i strive on a 2 to 4 day turnaround in the peak of summer on any transmission and i guess i dont worry about the payment till its time to ship. its just this time this bastard got under my skin badly
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2006 at 10:38pm
hate when stuff like that happens Eric.
I cut gra$$ for a guy about three summers ago, I cut for him the year before and never had a problkem getting paid at the end of every month. Next year came around, he signed a new contracted I started cutting on time. I cut for three months with out pay, this hole time I sent numerous bills, and numerous phone calls with his a$$istant that if the bill wasn't paid I wiould have to stop cutting the gra$$ and take further action.

Well after a month of me not cutting the gra$$ I caught up with the guy and he only wanted to pay me half what he owed me, because he said the city sent him a bill for them coming out and mowing the gra$$ because it was being mowed. He said that was my fault and I should have to pay for it. He was wrong I took him to court and got paid all my money. In my contract I always put the loop hole in there to protect myself if things go badly with a client even after I have tried to correct said problem.

Much like your customer Eric some people are just out to screw others.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 6:43am
87, probably the guy your talking about has more doe than a bakery, i guess there are different types all accross the board and it seems like the less money they have the easier it is to get paid, you see what time im posting because my first thoughts were this morning of some guy trying to stick it to me, like i said its not a money issue its a principal issue and i guess i think differently. Yesterday i took a pair of truck roters to a new shop that just opened to be turned, he told me to come back in an hour and i did, i asked how much? he said $10.00 bucks, I wrote the check out for $15.00, I felt he should get paid for what he did, it had to at least take him a half hour to turn them, or maybe i was trying to send him a message.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 8:01am
Eric,

I had a guy owe me $2100, I finally got tired of chasing him so I turned him in for collection. After about 6 monthes he paid the agency with his credit card, then the wingnut files a claim the next day and suspends payment. So I never got paid and the collection agency sends me a bill for $700 for their services and they're after me. What a circle jerk that mess is.

It's such a waste of time chasing these losers it's hardly worth it. My accountant says don't worry about it we'll just write it off and offset some taxes but I would rather decide how to spend the money I make than have some cheat do it for me. Oh well, time for a cup of coffee and start making my A/R calls so I can make payroll next week.

I still love working for myself but man it can be a challenge sometimes.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 8:43am
Al, another guy that knows the system, small claims court is a waste of f-in time. I believe in this thing called what comes around goes around and also if you do good things, good things will happen to you so what it boils down too is who really is the loser in the situation, these people are sad pathetic scums of society.... enough said and your right about working for your self it takes a hell of alot of discipline
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Eric,

I had a guy owe me $2100, I finally got tired of chasing him so I turned him in for collection. After about 6 monthes he paid the agency with his credit card, then the wingnut files a claim the next day and suspends payment. So I never got paid and the collection agency sends me a bill for $700 for their services and they're after me. What a circle jerk that mess is.

It's such a waste of time chasing these losers it's hardly worth it. My accountant says don't worry about it we'll just write it off and offset some taxes but I would rather decide how to spend the money I make than have some cheat do it for me. Oh well, time for a cup of coffee and start making my A/R calls so I can make payroll next week.

I still love working for myself but man it can be a challenge sometimes.

Yeah, but they accountant doesn't remind you that now it creates negative cash flow since you have suppliers, employees, machine expenses to pay for... Bummer all the way around.. All of us in business go through it.. I like your idea the best though Magic.. Get commitments and down payments up front, so these people have part ownership in the work you are doing...

Moj'
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by Mojoman Mojoman wrote:

Yeah, but they accountant doesn't remind you that now it creates negative cash flow
Moj'

Mojo, He gets reminded when I pay his bill late
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 3:05pm
Bwahahahaha, right on Alan....
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 4:01pm
the accountant also tells you to deposit all your cash tooooooooo, they must have an IRS virus planted in them when they go to school
roadkingpuck View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadkingpuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2006 at 7:51pm
These jerks probably owe money to people all over town. It's a game to them to try to stiff people. In my business (dentistry), the people who don't pay are the same people that we try hardest to please; at least before we get burned once. It's strange, you can have 100 people that are satisfied and pay you for your services and it is the one jerk who doesn't, that you remember.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 7:43am
you are exactly 100% correct rkp, seeing your a dentist next time one of these guys comes in, I think ethics kick in here, maybe not enough novacaine?????
roadkingpuck View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadkingpuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 11:04pm
I've had several of my employees and friends suggest that option.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2006 at 9:32am
MORON x 2, get to my shop this morning and the NJ guy I guess after numerous conversations and letters decides to send back my transmission the only problem is the box is covered in oil, the box is different from what i sent him, Its 24x24 and the f-in as-hole sends it back without a drop of packing in it, so now i have to tear this thing down in which it was rolling around in this toilet paper box, and give him his bad case and the parts i used in this trans and send it back. I am very mild mannered and this guy has me PISSED
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2006 at 9:36am
Hell send him an empty case you have laying around then give him the run around.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2006 at 10:11am
Eric,

You've lost money and lost a customer but You have not lost your reputation yet. Send him back whatever the hell he started with and move on. Do the right thing, He's an a$$ but you're a businessman and your reputation is on the line.

Screwing with him won't fix anything and the satisfaction will be short lived.

skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2006 at 10:57am
Eric at least you got the trans back. You thought you might lose it as well. I could not have a business that I had to deal with the public all of the time. My wife is in retail & they have to bend over backwards for the customer, even if they are crazy. I would fail in that dept. All of my customers are the same from month to month & keep us swamped with business so I don't have to look for new business. This might be one where you just have to take a deep breath & let it go. Good Luck!
Greg

86 BFN
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2006 at 11:19pm
I agree with 81.Don't need any bad cheerleaders out there.It's hard enough to make an honest living these days.Be happy knowing that you'll continue to do the right thing,while he continues to be a complete a$$.

Mike

Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2006 at 7:26am
im clinching my teeth and I wont let him get the best of me, and i will do the right thing, i hav'nt pulled it out of the box yet, im going to take some pictures first thing.. maybe Ill post one and you guys will see that im not exagerating.im definitly going to hit him with a tear down and inspect charge and shipping. i just cant imagine what is going on in this idiot's head and what he's thinking
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2006 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by skicat skicat wrote:

I could not have a business that I had to deal with the public all of the time. My wife is in retail & they have to bend over backwards for the customer, even if they are crazy.

We've run our own business for over 20 yrs, and also and try to bend over backwards to please customers...Ive always said..some want you to "bend over the other way"..the hard thing to know up front is ,which way to bend with this one?     
Thank God (literally) most of our customers are great, or I wouldnt be doing it.

Hang in there Eric!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2006 at 4:03pm
The two things I keep in mind are;
One aw' sh*t takes away a hundred atta boyz, and knowing when to cut my losses.

It takes a long time to build a good reputation and only one incident to ruin it.

While being self employed can be it's own greatest reward, there are times when you have to catch yourself from stooping to some idiots level.

Character building situation, no doubt.
Good luck, vent when needed. d

Danny

"no offense- but the rate at which you spread bad information is very impressive"    
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2006 at 5:59pm
It's a good thing I have a good relationship with my customers. We get made at each other, cuss each other out, then do what it takes to get the buildings done! Sometimes it takes a while to cool down, but most of my contact is via the phone, email or Fed Ex so I can cuss them out all I want when I hang up the phone.
Greg

86 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2006 at 9:21pm
I recieved a letter today from the attorney general and i have 10 days to reply regarding this matter, so i spent another 2 hours drafting a letter taking pictures and so on, and at this point i have no idea which way this is heading, but i know that sob is snickering and covering his bases but I think he screwed up on the shipping it back to me in this single wall box with no packing,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic