Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Exhaust flex hose

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
norrisdam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norrisdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhaust flex hose
    Posted: June-11-2023 at 1:40pm
I have a 1986 Martinique and just had the mufflers and exhaust hoses replaced.  
I noticed after running the boat for awhile that the new exhaust hoses will start heating up enough to start smoking with a burnt rubber smell. It seems to be more noticeable when idling. The engine temperature gauge was normal.
The mechanic has checked all the water hoses and they are ok. He also has raised the boat out of the water so a garden hose could be attached to the strainer assembly and it ran fine without heating up.
Any ideas on fixing this problem?
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2023 at 3:45pm
Smoking and hot exhaust hoses is a symptom of a cooling system problem.  Your cooling system is designed to have raw water and exhaust mixed in the exhaust manifold/risers and exhaust hose.  I would check for proper water flow into both manifolds/risers.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2023 at 8:19pm
Were the hoses and mufflers replaced due to heat damage?

When he checked the hoses, did he remove the 90 degree elbow at the front of each exhaust manifold to check for blockage. 

The elbows should be removed and checked and the inlet hole they thread into should also be checked.

Since it does it more while idling I'd also verify that your suction strainer if you have one isn't letting air in due to a bad O ring or loose housing and check the inlet to your transmission cooler for any blockage, especially if you don't have the suction strainer.

Any air leak on the suction side of the pump will affect it's ability to suck water especially at low speeds, so a double check on the hoses and clamps couldn't hurt  Temperature being good when running on the hose but running hot when sucking from the lake points toward a suction side air leak that's overcome by the assist from the hose

If you had to replace an impeller recently. check the inlet to the pump for old impeller pieces. They can get stuck there too along with getting stuck on the outlet side.

norrisdam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norrisdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2023 at 5:25pm
The hoses and mufflers were replaced because of age. They were original.
He did not remove the 90 degree elbows but I will bring it to his attention as well as the other items.
Thanks for the reply.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic