NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Diesel oil in a gasoline engine

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2023 at 2:02pm
When is it fashionable/courteous for people to blame every gas related issue they have on ethanol Gary?

Is that a year round thing?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2023 at 10:23am
I was under the impression that oil threads are a winter doldrums discussion only. Sorta like not wearing white after Labor Day type thing. This time of year it only should be things like- core plugs vs freeze plugs,why is there water pouring out of the side of my block, impeller vanes missing or installed the wrong way, why is my raw water pump not pumping,can I tow a tube from the lift ring etc. It's just common courtesy....      
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2023 at 8:22am
That same curious person might be wondering why the  oil of his favorite brand, which doesn't contain the "magical" amount of zinc hasn't turned his 30 plus year old engine's camshaft into just plain junk. This could be Buck and a whole bunch of other people too Wink

Or another might wonder why the break in instructions for that rebuilt flat tappet 351w marine engine he bought (ATK from Summit for example), say to break it in with high zinc oil or a break in supplement and then use whatever 10w30 oil you want after the break in period is over.

He might also wonder how much zinc is in some of those "high mileage" oils these days or how much zinc is in most motor oil these days

Then again, somebody else might say if a little extra zinc in your oil makes you sleep good at night, that's just fine 

Like JQ said.................it's an oil thread  Wink

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2023 at 3:35am
Yep, I too run Diesel oil in my flat tappet engines to gain the extra ZDDP.   On the old car forums many if not most owners run the Diesel oils.  I have yet to hear of a failure associated with this practice.   Many modern Diesel engines have the ability to run up to 5000 RPM, same as our boats, did the recommended oil change for them?   Many of those diesels run roller cams, roller followers etc so maybe not a fair comparison.   
I think ZDDP is necessary for sure with the flat tappet engines.  ( non Roller Cams ).   Get it from what ever source makes you happy and floats your boat.  Keep Clean oil in your engines and do not worry.   
I am not saying the Specialty blend oils might not be better in some respects, for $5 more per quart they should be.  I am not yet convinced to upgrade and change what has worked for the past 20 years.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2023 at 12:23am
It's an "oil thread" Buck.  Ask 10 people and get 15 responses!
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
uncle-buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2023 at 11:28pm

No respect, I tell ya'. Big smile

1990 Ski Nautique (original owner)
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2023 at 7:49pm
I agree with KENO that many engines survive just fine with "non recommended" oil.  Per PCM, the recommended oil for many years was 40 weight.  To my knowledge, I've never yet run straight 40 weight in either of my Ski Nautiques.  I've run Shell Rotella T6 in just about everything from lawn mowers to my new PowerStroke diesel  -- even in my flat tappet 351 SBF on occasion.  

As for the primary and secondary ZDDP additives, I suppose that makes a small difference in the high RPM engines.  As marine engines typically don't rev much past 4,000 to 5,000 RPM, I doubt that the ZDDP type matters as much as the ZDDP parts per million (PPM).

I even put full synthetic ATF in my PCM 40A transmission...gasp!

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2023 at 6:19pm
A curious person would probably ask himself something like "how did my engine survive all these years with some inferior oil or inferior amount of zinc in whatever oil I was using?"  Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2023 at 5:41pm
Our local Costco had Kirkland Heavy-Duty Diesel 15W-40 oil on sale for $10 per gallon last week. Was tempted to try it - until I read that article.

Ended up using Pennzoil conventional 10W-40 and a ZDDP supplement.
Valvoline VR1 is great, too.

I don't know what the "best" oil is, but I know most of the readers of these forums love their boats. And, until last year, I was totally ignorant about the need for zinc in engines with flat tappet cams.

Hopefully, the MotorTrend article will educate some folks who have older engines and allow them to make better informed decisions. 
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
Tomrupp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomrupp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2023 at 3:00pm
Thanks for sharing Uncle Buck. I’ve heard of this diesel oil in the ski boat move. I’ve been tempted to try it. I love the “what’s the best oil” debates for some reason. After the article, I’m sticking with VR1 in the Nautique and Rotella in the Duramax.
Tom
94 Ski Nautique Open Bow 351 with Carb
95 Double Decker Aqua Patio with 50hp Honda (3 carbs).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2023 at 10:34am
Good piece about this topic on MotorTrend's website:

"...the type of ZDDP in a diesel engine oil is not the same as the ZDDP in a gasoline engine oil. This is an important difference; diesel engines run at lower rpm than gasoline engines, so that difference in engine speed changes the way the ZDDP needs to activate to provide anti-wear protection. To get a little technical, diesel engine oils typically contain primary ZDDP and gasoline engine oils contain a blend of secondary and primary ZDDP. Just as a side note, racing oils just contain secondary ZDDP. Both types of ZDDP offer anti-wear protection, but the gasoline type of ZDDP provides more protection for higher-speed engines (think bigger valvesprings)."

PCM 351W with D.U.I.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic