Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alternator Questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternator Questions
    Posted: March-25-2023 at 7:47am
Hi,

I have a Prestolite alternator (not sure of the model) on my 351w 1989 Ski Nautique.

My old wiring harness (from previous owner) had the exciter wire connected to the the Indicator Light terminal of the alternator, with an inline diode (feedback diode?). Without the diode, switching the ignition off would not cut the engine. So I have left it as is for many years.

Here is a photo of a similar alternator. Which terminal is normally used for the exciter? The bottom left?

I opened my alternator, and it looks like this...

It has a post on the bottom right side ("?"), which is connected with a link wire to the Indicator Light post. This doesn't look standard? With the wire disconnected, I can't measure any continuity from the bottom right post ("?") to any other post. The link wire is in a bad state.

Can I connect my inline diode from the Indicator Light terminal to the bottom left terminal, to "make" a new Exciter terminal?

Thanks,
Greg

1989 Ski Nautique (SN2001)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2023 at 9:31am
The similar alternator in the gloved hand, it's the lower left like you think.

Here's a link to an Arco marine page that might help with your alternator

Top left should be helpful

I'm not seeing a lower left terminal that you describe in your alternator picture

It looks like there was once an excitation  terminal that broke off maybe?

Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2023 at 10:13am
Great, thanks for the link.

Yes, it looks like something was there. Under the black plastic is a metal surface. Just not sure where it goes. Or if I can just fit a new post/terminal.

Might be safest just to leave things as is...
1989 Ski Nautique (SN2001)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2023 at 10:19am
Originally posted by Greg_SA Greg_SA wrote:

Might be safest just to leave things as is...

I think so, Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic