Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Decal Application

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Otto Throttle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Decal Application
    Posted: February-15-2023 at 2:03pm
Spring is coming and I'm cleaning up the boat!   I have purchased many decals for my 1999 Masters Edition, and I will be applying them this spring.  A couple of questions, what techniques (preparation, layout, and application) are you using to apply them to the boat?  Also I have read some people using "sealing pens" to seal the edges, any input on that?!  

Additionally have people replaced single letters on their decals?

Thanks in advance!

Otto
Otto
NeilMcG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilMcG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2023 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Otto Throttle Otto Throttle wrote:

Spring is coming and I'm cleaning up the boat!   I have purchased many decals for my 1999 Masters Edition, and I will be applying them this spring.  A couple of questions, what techniques (preparation, layout, and application) are you using to apply them to the boat?  Also I have read some people using "sealing pens" to seal the edges, any input on that?!  

Additionally have people replaced single letters on their decals?

Thanks in advance!

Otto

Surface contaminates are the biggest enemy for adhesion, particularly oils and lipids (which includes wax.) A simple cleaning usually isn't enough. Dawn dish soap is a good first step, but then use a dewaxer/degreaser and finish with a liberal wiping with acetone.
Otto Throttle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2023 at 11:46am
Great!  Thank you....what bout these edge sealing pens?  Anything worth doing??
Otto
NeilMcG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilMcG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2023 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Otto Throttle Otto Throttle wrote:

Great!  Thank you....what bout these edge sealing pens?  Anything worth doing??

I've never used one so I can't say for sure, but my experience has been that adhesion tends to fail in the center producing small bubbles, not failure along edges. But they're inexpensive so it probably wouldn't hurt to try.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic