Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dash Switches - 1996 Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
jblake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dash Switches - 1996 Nautique
    Posted: February-05-2023 at 11:44am
Thinking about summer.  It's February in MN...  Anyway, several of the push button switches on our dash are a challenge to function. The hardest unfortunately being the Ignition switch which saves the battery between visits.  Or not if someone doesn't get it to switch off. Confused I've not been able to find the part on https://www.nautiqueparts.com/my-account/orders/.  Any suggestions for a replacement?

Sorry - no pic.  I have tried to upload a picture of the dash but keep getting an error.  Using a Mac.  I've tried Safari and Chrome:
error '80070070'
/forum/functions/functions_upload.asp, line 789
JayBird
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2023 at 12:09pm
Hmmmm.  That could be a problem.  Maybe you could not find them at NautiqueParts because they are "breakers" not switches.  That being said, I went to the website, searched for breakers and 2 came up, 20 amp and 6 amp.  But unfortunately they are out of stock/no longer available.  That is quite unfortunate as they do tend to wear out and there are a zillion of us out here that use/need them.  Hopefully someone else has another lead on them.

As far as posting photos, that has been a problem, but doable now.  Take a look at this thread.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2023 at 12:44pm
Here are links to a couple of old threads worth reading.

Numerous people with problems with those combination switch/breakers have sprayed a little WD 40 in and exercised the breakers and they've worked like new again.

You could call it a temporary fix for a handful of years or so Wink

And here's a link to the switches on nautiqueparts.com. if you want new ones  Looks to me like they're in stock

SkiDim carries them too

You can find them cheaper on Ebay too, maybe not all the sizes, but here's an example for a 20 amp ETA breaker With a little effort you can find all the sizes you need, dirt cheap on Ebay. Search for ETA breaker and weed through all the choices.

Gotta go, I'm all linked out for now Wink

PS..............If you have to turn the ignition switch/breaker off to save the battery, you have other problems like an electrical draw at the dash that's draining the battery. 

jblake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2023 at 12:48pm
https://ibb.co/BBThZW1
JayBird
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2023 at 1:09pm
Ken, Just so you dont think Im crazy or stupid for saying they are out of stock.  Wonder why we got different results.  Maybe they just dont like me.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2023 at 1:19pm
But I like ya Larry Wink

I think it's the note that says the one in your picture has screw type terminals used in 84,85 and everything newer like in my link has the push on spade terminals and a higher price to go with them.

I think Jay is picture practicing, he's almost got it
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2023 at 1:26pm
Jay,

regarding the picture thing, I think you didnt select the correct embed code, otherwise, good to go.

Ken, glad they're still out there.  Couldnt imagine them being NLA

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2023 at 4:14pm
If I leave the ignition breaker in the on position the battery will drain in a couple of days too. Mike at N3 told me not to leave it on when I bought it but sometimes I forget. 
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jblake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2023 at 7:00pm
Thank you all.  I will work my pictures.
JayBird
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2023 at 7:46pm
Here's your picture

Here's a little help, like Larry said, click on BBCode full linked, instead of whatever you clicked on before and do the copy and paste and you'll be posting pictures. Wink

Look at the screenshot below and you want to click on the gray highlighted copy for the BB code (big red arrow pointing at it)

It looks like you clicked on the first one that says "image link" which sounds logical but doesn't work.(at least it doesn't work here on CCF}

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2023 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

If I leave the ignition breaker in the on position the battery will drain in a couple of days too. Mike at N3 told me not to leave it on when I bought it but sometimes I forget. 

So what makes it drain the battery?

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2023 at 10:45pm
Don't know and didn't bother to look since if I shut off the breaker it's fine Embarrassed  Never could find a complete wiring diagram either
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
burban65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2023 at 2:21pm
+1 on the WD40 to aid the function (in / out) of the switch / breaker.  It worked extremely well to "free" the switches up.  I sold the boat but gave all of the switches / breakers a shot of WD40 again before it departed as a preventive measure for the new owner.  
SRB
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2023 at 3:34pm
Agree with ken, I never shut that ign breaker off. Assuming the later 90’s boats are wired the same as the late 80’s and early 90’s, it’s technically not an ignition breaker btw- it cuts all (batt) power to the dash as well as the downstream ignition circuits. Which includes everything that’s switched- most notably the bilge pump. Considering people moor their boats, I’m fairly certain the intent is not to turn that ign breaker off very often…
jblake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2023 at 3:57pm
Gentleman we purchased the boat from recommended it.  Said battery would not last long otherwise.  Our boat is on a lift. I certainly get your point about the bilge pump and would have to track down the source of the power drain if it was not on a lift.
JayBird
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2023 at 4:29pm
Lift kept here also. Would bump that problem up on the priority list IMO.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2023 at 5:42pm
I installed a battery isolator switch on my 1994 Ski Nautique.  I kept the dashboard ignition switch / breaker in the "ON" position.  When I put the boat away for any time longer than a day or so, I would switch the isolator to "OFF".  Worked well.  Never ran the battery out of juice with that set-up.  I like the option of having the battery completely disconnected from everything.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2023 at 7:59am
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

I installed a battery isolator switch on my 1994 Ski Nautique.  I kept the dashboard ignition switch / breaker in the "ON" position.  When I put the boat away for any time longer than a day or so, I would switch the isolator to "OFF".  Worked well.  Never ran the battery out of juice with that set-up.  I like the option of having the battery completely disconnected from everything.

JQ

So I guess that if your new truck or Gary's older truck ran down the battery after a couple days of being parked, the solution would be to disconnect the battery ?...............or maybe find the problem and fix it?
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2023 at 10:30am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Agree with ken, I never shut that ign breaker off. Assuming the later 90’s boats are wired the same as the late 80’s and early 90’s, it’s technically not an ignition breaker btw- it cuts all (batt) power to the dash as well as the downstream ignition circuits. Which includes everything that’s switched- most notably the bilge pump. Considering people moor their boats, I’m fairly certain the intent is not to turn that ign breaker off very often…

This has been discussed a bunch of times, worth repeating.  While I think it was a mistake on Nautique's part to let the bilge pumps be switched off with the ignition breaker, that's water under the bridge/over the dam.  The fact is if you click ignition off, bilge pumps are off, leaving your boat at high risk if in the water.  I leave my igntion on any time except when on the trailer, and sometimes then as well.  I don't know how long the battery lasts, in my case I know I've gone 10 days between starts and fired up ok, though I'd say a noticeable bit of battery drain at that point.

I also had a family member and a few friends switch it off, saying "you left that switch on, I saw the red light, didn't want your battery to drain."  I saw or heard it within an hour of happening so no big deal, but worth letting others know to leave it on as well.
mrhemi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2023 at 10:50am
I have a '89 Ski Nautique. Barn find from one owner (my father). During the efforts of revitalizing this boat, I have found in his notes that there were questions of electrical issues killing the battery when it was new. I have just replaced all of the breakers/switches with new (they are available) and discovered a drain with the ignition breaker on. What I discovered, as I heard it, barely, is a second blower located in the bow behind the foot well. This is in addition to the blower in the engine compartment. The blower in the bow runs as long as the ignition breaker is closed. It does not have it's own breaker/switch as the engine compartment blower does. This bow mounted blower is not identified on the '89 wiring diagram that was supplied with the boat documents. I believe this was the source of the mentioned electrical problems 35 years ago.
You know you are getting to be vintage when someone says "Back in the day..." and you can dispute their facts.

Mr. Mike.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2023 at 11:09am
I've never heard of that 2nd blower, wonder if it was added later.  Can't imagine what it's doing unless someone thought they needed "ram air" supplied to the doghouse through the hull.  No way any sort of blower, or always on motor, can be switched by the ignition switch since it forces you to turn it off and kill the bilge pumps (assuming all these boats were wired similarly).

Wiring is sketchy in any of these boats, specifically attention to adequate dash power feed and ground, many people improve them.  Not that undersized positive or ground to the dash has anything to do with battery drain.
mrhemi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2023 at 5:30pm
It came that way. My father was  the original owner and he picked the boat up at Midwest Correct Craft in January 1989. I was the original owner of a 1983 Ski Nautique and the blower (single) was located below the deck in the bow and ducted through the hull. it wasn't really very effective, especially if the engine cover was up. When I saw the '89 had it adjacent to the engine I figured they moved it for better efficiency, not realizing immediately that there was a second blower that runs continuously.
You know you are getting to be vintage when someone says "Back in the day..." and you can dispute their facts.

Mr. Mike.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2023 at 7:36pm
Since picture posting is pretty easy these days............how about a picture or 2 of the front setup and it's associated hoses on the 89 ? Wink

BTW Most people found their 83 blowers mounted under the rear deck above the gas tank
mrhemi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2023 at 8:44am
My '83 was an early build 2nd or 3rd one. Originally built for Mercruiser with a Mercruiser 350 in it. That may account for the different blower location. I work an photos.

Mr. Mike.
LooseScrew22 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LooseScrew22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2023 at 12:00pm
this is slightly off the original topic, but i need to replace the dash panel on my '95 SN- the original has broken 2 of the mounting tabs. I don't really like the look of the nautiqueparts replica- anyone had success finding an alternate replacement or decal like the original?
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2023 at 12:29pm
Let's see some pics.  I would think you could repair with Epoxy, especially if the tabs are hidden.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
LooseScrew22 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LooseScrew22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2023 at 7:13pm
Tried to attach picture, but i get an error. Additionally, you can't see the damage so well from the photo i have. The damage is to the upper/lower screw mounting holes closest to the steering wheel. Even if i could repair the plastic panel around the mounting holes, the decal is cracked and missing a few small pieces and sunfaded. I was hoping to replace the entire panel and remount the switches. 
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2023 at 8:38am
Don't know about anybody else, but I'm still waiting on some pictures of the hard wired, always runs, mystery blower from mrhemi  Wink
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2023 at 11:00am
Huh...have had '82, '83, '84, '85 2001s...none with a 'secondary' bow blower....
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2023 at 12:31pm
My 95 will drain the battery when parked if the ignition switch is left on.    I do not yet have a batter disconnect in this boat.   The drain is my stereo.  I switch off the main ignition switch almost every time I shut off the engine when it is going to be parked a while.   When we go camping people walking past the boat on the water will always tell me I left something on in the boat if I do not shut off the ignition due to the red light.   Had not thought about the automatic bilge being shut off also.  That would be pretty easy to rewire on a separate fused line.  A future project I guess.   At summers end I always unbolt the battery cable and remove it from the battery and when summer comes around the battery is still holding around 12.5 volts so it loses very little.   
I would think using WD 40 to loosen up the dash switches would promote dirt sticking to the oil causing the switches to fail sooner than later?   I know it displaces water but it also attracts dirt.’
Mark
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic