NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dash Switches - 1996 Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2023 at 3:48pm
It seems to me that if you have a dead switch that doesn't work and you spray some WD-40 into it and it works for years afterwards and is still working ........that sounds like a victory to me Wink

It's probably cleaning up some corrosion that was affecting the switch's operation.

If people are having their stereos drain the battery in a few days, I'd wonder what's different from a car stereo that can sit in a car for let's say a month or more and you go out and start the vehicle with no battery issues.

Typically there's keep alive power and ignition(switched) power each from a different location. Keep alive is always there when the battery is hooked up and ignition power is only there when the key is ON.

Keep alive power draw is measured in milliamps like maybe 10 Ma (.01 amps) and that'll take a long long time to drain a battery enough so that it won't start the engine. A lot more than a few days

You also have keep alive power to the ECM, ECU or whatever else you want to call it and combined with the radio keep alive power it's still a very small current draw in a fuel injected car or boat

So...........what's the difference? Goofy factory wiring, homegrown installations or something else?

nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2023 at 8:19pm
Obviously, it would depend on the individual boat. But I have ridden in boats that had an amp in addition to the head unit. The owners claimed it ran through the key switch and the amp powered down. But the head unit being off turned the amp to stand by. While it was a lower power draw than that of the amp when it was powered up if the boat sat it became an issue. My Ski Nautique came to me with a sound system like that and I tossed in a battery shut off switch that included the amp. No problems holding battery charge. Damn, I would be looking for that parasitic draw if my battery discharged very fast. It was a pretty big amplifier.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2023 at 8:53pm
My radio does not draw much but unlike my cars the boat can sit over a month at a time without use and then I am charging the battery to go out but if I shut off the ignition switch the boat stays ready to go much longer.  If I was lucky enough to live on lake like some of you lucky guys it would not be an issue as it would be un use much more.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2023 at 8:07am
My 2004 ski will drain the battery if I don’t shut off the toggle switch that is to the right of the drivers seat. 🤷🏻‍♂️. I have not taken the time to find the draw and it’s easy to flip the switch. 
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2023 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Since picture posting is pretty easy these days............how about a picture or 2 of the front setup and it's associated hoses on the 89 ? Wink

BTW Most people found their 83 blowers mounted under the rear deck above the gas tank

Originally posted by mrhemi mrhemi wrote:

My '83 was an early build 2nd or 3rd one. Originally built for Mercruiser with a Mercruiser 350 in it. That may account for the different blower location. I work an photos.

While I was crawling around under a dash today, this came to mind............so, you working on those mystery blower  photos ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic