NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The elephant in the room

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2023 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by NCH20SKIER NCH20SKIER wrote:

HA.  With Larry's retirement he seems to be busier these days or perhaps he is fine tuning the reel to reel time recording machine to share some more film.....

How about this, the first/original CCF video (tho more a collection of stills vs a video) from 2007.

Yup, changed a lot through the years. I think I've given this speech before, but to recap.  One, you gotta figure, its coming up on 20 years.  That's a pretty good run, things are bound to change.  I really miss "the gang" and the chatter, banter and ribbing from yesteryear.  Very disappointed in the shift to Facebook.  I cant stand FB.  I dont like their outward political involvement (tho quite honestly, I guess it doesnt hurt me at all, so I suppose I shouldnt care, just the principle of it, I guess) I cant stand the fact that 3/4s of my page is either "sponsored" posts, or "suggested for you" crap  that I have no interest in, only serves as click bait to keep you there longer.  Its nothing but an advertising machine.  It is ruined.  Same management didnt ruin Instagram like that (tho I dont do instagram) Not sure why they had to ruin FB, but anyway.  But, despite all that, I still go there, as that is where the discussions on Nautiques, Classic CCs,  vintage boats, skiing (waterski hub and Hows my spray) barefooting (Barefoot Buds) vintage skiing and ski photos and on and on, are, and I enjoy looking at those.  What drives me nuts, is the misinformation over there, especially regarding old CCs.  So  much knowledge that is so completely wrong. I feel bad for people asking the questions because they get so much bad information.  I used to constantly tell people over there with questions to come over here, but I got out of that habit as I tend not to participate a much.

Sadly, I used to come here all the time to verify my statements, using the diaries or brochures, but since they are gone,those not much of a resource any more.  Hard to believe all that stuff wasnt backed up somewhere, especially the brochures, but oh well.  I certainly understand the photo challenges lowering the appeal of the site.  As far as Hollywood's comment about group texting, well that's fine, I suppose if you happen to be one of the six people in the group text, but there are a lot of us out here that are still interested in hearing about the Buckethead, or seeing videos of skiing or footing, or hearing about the activities of ski clubs or teams or seeing new purchases or seeing progress on projects, all of which is pretty limited now.  

I do appreciate what has survived the test of time.  Some new members, old members offering good advice and fixes, references over on FB to come over here for the right answer, so I guess we should be grateful for that.

fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2023 at 4:20pm
Most of us have no idea what all is involved in running this site so I am asking out of ignorance......why is so difficult to post media within a reply box?  Space?  Memory?  

I visit everyday and have for years and certainly hope it continues.  The knowledge value alone is worth a ton and the camaraderie is priceless!  Lets all hope it keeps rolling.
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2023 at 8:17am
Well, here I am sitting in the back of the room with the elephant and he says that it seems like there are a good number of people who really like the website, visit daily or pretty frequently and probably a whole big bunch who just pop on for some free, usually good advice, then disappear till the next problem. Then there are all those lurkers that just search for information , find what they're looking for and disappear

Like fanofccfan  ,me and the elephant know nothing about what's involved in running the site, but I do wonder how much commitment, dedication, effort (and whatever other words you want to throw in here) Keith gives to the site these days in what's probably a busy life with plenty of other stuff going on ?

is it out of the goodness of his heart.?

Now before anybody gets all hot and bothered and says I'm picking on Keith or CCF, let's just sat it's an effort to keep our favorite "best little niche website" healthy and profitable for he who runs it.. 

I'm sure I'm not the only one with the same thoughts, just the only one maybe dumb enough to actually ask the question we may or may not want to hear the answer to  Wink 

I suppose only one person knows the answer
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2023 at 8:51am
Keno. Are you interested in helping kieth ‘management ’ the technical aspects of a website to perform better (pics, security etc)
Or take over completely
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2023 at 11:21am
Not neither. Sounds like they’re just wondering what it would take to make some improvements.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2023 at 1:52pm
Good to know
I’m on a vintage car forum too, unbelievable easy to load a pic
Keno been trying to show us how using Imgur, loading pic really only problem I have
Maybe Keith could use expert or maybe it’s really expensive $
It’s hard to do much about participation
cboland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cboland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2023 at 9:14am
I’ll throw my $0.02 in here as a very longtime lurker. No doubt, this site has been invaluable to me over the years in troubleshooting and keeping my boats running. I feel a bit of guilt for not more actively contributing to making it the community it is. 

Regarding the elephant, no doubt demographics and lack of in-person interaction has hurt online participation, but from an everyday experience standpoint, I have to believe a big issue we’re having is the underlying site/forum platform. Like everything, technology has evolved as has the way in which we use it. This site is still built on a platform designed for when we did all of this on desktop computers. The overwhelming majority of use these days is on mobile devices. I believe the reason much of our traffic has moved to Facebook and others is because the user interface of those platforms makes it so easy to comment, post pictures, etc. I know there have been many instances where I wanted to chime in on something here, but knowing the 10 minute battle it was going to take to get logged in and get the post made discouraged me from doing do. 

This is no criticism of Keith as I can only imagine the cost to upgrade all of this is very high in money, time, expertise, etc. I’m just afraid the way in which we all interact, use our devices, etc. has evolved beyond what the current CCFan infrastructure offers. There is a direct correlation between use/participation and ease of use/usability. 
Bud

1999 Sport Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2023 at 9:44am
Well said sir. Exactly
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2023 at 2:01pm
Bud, you nailed it. 

1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Lou-Pa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lou-Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2023 at 7:42pm
Plus 2
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2023 at 9:01am
Originally posted by 67 ski nat 67 ski nat wrote:

Keno. Are you interested in helping kieth ‘management ’ the technical aspects of a website to perform better (pics, security etc)
Or take over completely

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Not neither. Sounds like they’re just wondering what it would take to make some improvements.

Like Hollywood said, just trying to see what it takes for improvement ( and take care of the picture posting issue that he said would be fixed over a month ago) and now there is input from from multiple people and Keith can do whatever he wants with that input. 

It's his website. Wink
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2023 at 9:13am
Well. I’m clueless about how mechanics of a website work
So Keith is doing better than myself and provided decades of solid entertainment and camaraderie
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2023 at 5:31am
The elephant is still in the room, still wondering Wink
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2023 at 8:12am
Ken, you must really be wondering about it if its your first thought at 5:30 in the morning.  What are you wondering about?  Are you wondering why overnight all the old guard guys are suddenly not back helping, sharing stories, posting pictures,  ribbing other members?   Or are you wondering why the forum has not overnight been updated so we can post pictures from our phones?

It's kind of like leaving a party and saying "Gee, that was kind of a dull party"  Whose fault is that, the deadbeat dullards there who dont know how to have a good time, or the host because the music or food wasnt to their liking?

You politely but pointedly accused Keith of not keeping the site up, and you mused is he doing it out of the goodness of his heart.  I'd say that is probably pretty close. He's not doing it for the money, certainly.  It's been almost 20 years.  I think his priorities and interests have changed.  He's got two teen kids and a wife and a job keeping him busy.  He's following his kid's multiple interests and actvities, he's into fishing, snow skiing, winter mountain biking, hiking, family activities.  I cant tell you how many years its been since I saw a boat/skiing related post on his FB page, so yeah, I'd say he is doing it out of the goodness of his heart.  He owes us nothing.  He could easily pull the plug and leave us with nothing, probably be a lot easier for him. But at least he puts in the effort to keep it up, which perhaps we shoould be grateful for. 
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2023 at 9:07am
Well a good place to start is by reviewing the thread in the link Larry

Back on Dec 11th, people started getting the error below, it's got to do with using the site photo loading process, nothing to do with using a phone to post pictures, just doing it with the sites software.

Persits.Upload.1 error '800a0005'

The system cannot find the file specified.T

/forum/functions/functions_upload.asp, line 171

The problem happened, he posted that he purchased additional space and it would be fixed within a few hours. it happened in 2020 and 2021 near the end of the year also and was fixed pretty quickly both times.

This time it's not fixed yet.

As far as site friendliness with phones, FB affects on the site and websites in general. reminiscing about the past. people coming and going, that came from other people.

It was a simple question

So maybe to sum it up, wondering why it's been well over a month and photo posting isn't back to the way it was.(no improvements, just back to what it was)

So it seems like maybe we agree............maybe he's doing it out of the goodness of his heart, but letting photo posting degrade from what it was, he isn't doing himself any favors at all

PS.............I had a bunch of other thoughts before 5:30, none of which had to do with CCF Wink

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2023 at 10:02am
Agreed Ken.  Not saying its not unfortunate, but its also unfortunate when I plan on going skiing in the morning and wake up to gale force winds or torrential rains.  Its out of my control.
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2023 at 11:50am
Yes, but unlike Mother Nature, this site issue may be under someone's control.
I think the summation of this thread is:
"Why is it such a challenge to post images (desktop or phone) and what, if anything, can be done about it?"

1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2023 at 7:22pm
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2023 at 7:46pm
Well, I guess it's time to say something like "Holy crap, I just posted the picture in the above post from my phone using IMGBB".................and it wasn't  hard  and I didn't have to ask a little kid or anybody else for any helpWink

The hard part would be putting into words what I did, but it was straightforward and not hard to do..

The biggest thing to get out of this is that if I can do it.............well most anybody should be able to do it with a little bit of practice.

The other pictures a few days ago were on a laptop using IMGBB.

Now somebody else who knows how to do this from a phone needs to come along and explain in plain easy to understand English, how to do it.

And..............never again let it be said that posting pictures from a phone is almost impossible on CCF since a relative "phone dummy" just did it. You don't use any of the CCF photo posting software, the picture is pasted from in my case, IMGBB.

I seem to think gun_driver mentioned IMGBB a while back

Edit...............A little digging says that he learned it from Old School Blue 84 back in 2018

Click on link below for that thread

PS That connecting rod is just an optical illusion Wink
northcoastidol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northcoastidol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2023 at 9:23pm
I totally agree with Larry on this. If it wasn't for this site and family and friends. I wouldn't have meet so many great people with similar interests on this site and have made many great friendships? not sure if they they all agree with that? if you now me and my family. I will always log in to this site as long as its up and running.
Always be ready for a run, the water does not wait for you!
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2023 at 9:30pm
Keno-I think it’s up to you to put it in laymen’s terms.  We’re counting on you!
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2023 at 11:41pm
"I wouldn't have meet so many great people with similar interests on this site and have made many great friendships" 
I think Scott is closer to the truth with this statement. Many contact each other and hang out together bypassing the site or so I suspect. Also wonder if some are involved with different brands and types of boats. Covid,hurricanes and moving due to the witness protection program has really changed my life so what do I know.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2023 at 8:09am

Today's phone practice
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2023 at 8:19am
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

Keno-I think it’s up to you to put it in laymen’s terms.  We’re counting on you!

Well, after being successful again today, there might be a slim chance of me maybe posting some simple minded instructions that might work for someone else.Wink

I'm sure somebody else could do better.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2023 at 4:35pm
Nice picture of the bent rod Ken, classic hydro lock issue?   I don’t even try to post pics anymore unless really important.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2023 at 11:28pm
Common, Mark.  That con-rod will buff out.  Ken's fixed worse...
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2023 at 10:16am
ok!!
Question of the day!
I know why i do it but why did Ken cut the handle of his ratchet?
Keno dont answer! yet!

Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Tomrupp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomrupp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2023 at 10:26am
Less weight in the boat = smaller wake. Every ounce counts.
Tom
94 Ski Nautique Open Bow 351 with Carb
95 Double Decker Aqua Patio with 50hp Honda (3 carbs).
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2023 at 11:24am
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

ok!!
Question of the day!
I know why i do it but why did Ken cut the handle of his ratchet?
Keno dont answer! yet!

The photo disappeared (I saw it yesterday, but gone today, at least for me - maybe Ken's imgbb method works but only for a day, then they fade away...tho the bent rod is still there)  But anyway, cant see it to inspect, but I had a friend that had to chop one off for access to steering cable replacement.  Maybe Ken ran into the same thing???
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2023 at 12:34pm
What picture?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic