Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Throttle Linkage Question, '89 Barn Find Nautique
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Throttle Linkage Question, '89 Barn Find Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mrhemi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Throttle Linkage Question, '89 Barn Find Nautique
    Posted: December-03-2022 at 9:57am
Finally getting around to cleaning up my barn find '89 Nautique. I will be posting a thread with the progress. Getting ready to rebuild the carb and I noticed this very bodged looking throttle linkage. Can anyone with an unmolested '89 comment if this looks correct? The boat has but 160 hours on it and I am the second owner. This just does not look correct, especially the spring that would actually open the throttle if the cable was disconnected. My previous Nautique was an '83, with a Mercruiser engine, so I have no example to compare to. 

Thanks in advance.

You know you are getting to be vintage when someone says "Back in the day..." and you can dispute their facts.

Mr. Mike.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2022 at 11:13am
Everything is fine except where the spring is mounted. It is all stretched out should be mounted to the bottom like below

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2022 at 11:19am
Here is the setup on my Mustang,it was not this way originally,it is PCM's way

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2022 at 1:05pm
Here's a picture of an 89 carburetor from somewhere on the internet (Planet Nautique)

You can barely see the spring, but it hooks to the rear intake manifold bolt just like yours and the bottom of the linkage like in Gary's picture, unlike yours that somebody stretched out like Gary said

And here's a link to an old thread with a couple mentions of different springs/kits that worked in place of a dead or missing spring.

One cost a little.....................one cost a lot  Wink

Plenty of others that could be made to work too, but just a couple of examples.

PS.............why start a new thread, just add to your original thread about the boat in the link below

mrhemi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2022 at 8:09am
Thanks to those who replied with the clarifications.

I created this new post as it was a specific question, utilizing the "Common Questions" section.
You know you are getting to be vintage when someone says "Back in the day..." and you can dispute their facts.

Mr. Mike.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2022 at 9:47am
It all looks correct except the throttle return spring. and it is not oem. spring is anchored in the correct location on the bracket, the other end goes in the little hole that is on the bottom of the throttle plate lever arm below the ball and socket.

Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2022 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

It all looks correct except the throttle return spring. and it is not oem. spring is anchored in the correct location on the bracket, the other end goes in the little hole that is on the bottom of the throttle plate lever arm below the ball and socket.

Here's Gary's picture of Mr Hemi's setup that had one arrow originally, now it has 2 showing where each end of the spring hooked up and I'd say it's an OeeeeeeM spring that's on the engine. That's a stretched OEM spring Wink

The back of the spring hooks up under the rear intake manifold bolt not the bracket, just like in the picture

Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2022 at 5:14am
Spring goes where the yellow arrow points

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic