Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vibration

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dutch-us View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dutch-us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vibration
    Posted: November-21-2022 at 2:05pm
I have a 1968 Mustang C/Craft with a POLY 318. When hard throttling to pull up a heavy skier, it vibrates terribly. Once cruising, not bad. I have aligned the propeller shaft and even installed mufflers. The engine runs great.

Any ideas?
68 Mustang Wes
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2022 at 3:10pm
Junk prop or bent shaft are the 2 biggest sources of vibration.

Misalignment will dampen vibration, not exacerbate it.

How’s the strut bushing?
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2022 at 11:23pm
Tim hit the main ones:  1) bent shaft; 2) strut bearing; and 3) unbalanced / damaged propeller.

You can check for "play" of the shaft in the bearing by wiggling the prop side-to-side and verifying movement of the shaft in the strut.

How old is the prop? Has it been hit and "fixed"?  Maybe post a photo of the prop (include the hub).

You can measure for a bent shaft easy enough while the shaft is on the boat.  You need a dial indicator and then attach the base of the dial indicator onto the strut.  You want to check the shaft just aft of the strut.

Can you provide a bit more info on your shaft alignment?

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
dutch-us View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dutch-us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2022 at 9:48am
I replaced the prop with a one inch lower pitch, because most of what I do is idle or ski.

I haven't measured play for strut condition but the bearing looks good and shaft spins with ease.

I will measure for out of round but I would think the vibration would increase, with RPM, if it is bent.

The previous owner did stringer work and the mounts are now sitting on aluminum angle iron which I wonder about.

Are new isolators readily available?

Thanks,

68 Mustang Wes
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2022 at 11:05am
I doubt isolation is the problem, or the fix.  Since you mention the vibration is at it's worst when under max load, engine/prop loaded up trying to pull up a heavy skier, I'm going to guess you will find a worn out strut bearing.  Could be wrong, but agree with above that it's strut or shaft or prop.
dutch-us View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dutch-us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2022 at 6:13pm
Thank you all and it's time to fire up the garage furnace and go to work.
68 Mustang Wes
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic