NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

After 35 Years...

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: After 35 Years...
    Posted: November-11-2022 at 9:26am
Johnny Quest rides off into the sunset.

Today is my final day before retiring.  I've been with the same organization since the 1980's.  Damn.  At this point it all seems a bit surreal.  I started when the Company had less than 200 employees.  Now there are over 4,500 team members.

I love the jobs I've had and feel very blessed for the many successes over my career.  I've met some great people (and a few not-so-great ones).  I've been involved in some fascinating industries and have had the opportunity to travel all over North America and other parts of the world.  Most importantly, I've tried to be a good mentor to those I've worked with and feel that I have helped many along the way.

Now it's time to start annoying Mrs. Quest on a full-time basis.

[ And do a heckuva lot more waterskiing ]

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2022 at 11:59am
Congrats on your retirement and staying with a company for so long. It’s unheard of these days. It tells a story of the loyalty you have with them. I’m sure you have been preparing for this for it’s not something you do in just a moment's notice. Best to you for a new season for you and your wife that’s ahead!
AZ86SKI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ86SKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2022 at 1:38pm
Congrats JQ!

That is a long and loyal run at one company for sure. Although it sounds like you enjoyed your positions, the opportunities and "most" of the people along the way. That is almost even more unique for that length of time. I'm confident your experience will be greatly missed by the 4,500 team members carrying on the mission. 

I'm going to have to come up with some more carburetor questions for you to keep you busy. Big smile Congrats again and enjoy retirement!

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2022 at 5:41pm
Well congrats Jonny.

If you find yourself a little bored, you can maybe become a pitch man for Quick Fuel and DUI, dressed in a little red speedo............... I hope you never get bored  Wink
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2022 at 7:02pm
Congrats!!
cspruill View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cspruill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2022 at 11:04pm
Congrats JQ! Very impressive career. You are a rare breed! Sounds like we will be enjoying lots more mid-week pulls in 2023!
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2022 at 12:32pm
Good for you JQ.   Now you can do exactly what you want each and every day.   Congratulations!
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2022 at 4:58pm
Good for you!  Congrats!
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2022 at 7:05pm
Congrats !!
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2022 at 7:20pm
Congratulations Rob!  Good luck on your new adventures
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2022 at 10:12am
Congrats JQ!  Exciting stuff in front of you.

(It's been 2 days, do you have a part time job yet?Smile)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2022 at 10:57am
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

(It's been 2 days, do you have a part time job yet?Smile)

…you want fries with that?
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2022 at 1:45pm
Looks like you got fired from your first post retirement job.

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2022 at 6:15am
Congratulations JQ. Longevity with any company seems to be far and few between these days. I've got 34+ with DAL and would leave tomorrow if I could. Not old enough and still paying on a house keeps me here!Cry I so wanna be like you, Gary and a few others and do nothing but ski and tinker with boats. I tasted the forbidden fruit a couple years ago when I took a 30 LOA due to Covid. Retirement will not be a problem for me in 10 years. Happy LONG retirement Boat Bud!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2022 at 10:56am
Congratulations! Welcome to the club.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2022 at 7:13pm
The first week of retired life is now in the books.  Mrs. Quest is looking none too pleased with yours truly getting in the way of everything.  So far, I've painted the home theater room and mounted a new, massive flat screen TV.  I've run wire, re-hung a window, organized the "man cave" and cleaned my shop.  Now she says I have to make bricks without straw....

I may not last another week.
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2022 at 10:15pm
It's fascinating how quickly time passes. My father-in-law did 33 years at DAL and he didn't even want to be a pilot, but clearly he struggled through it! I'm in my 34th year in the same industry with, fortunately, only a couple companies, and like JQ, my gig takes me all over the world on any given week or month and that's pretty cool.

Congrats JQ, sending you good retirement vibes.

Mark
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2022 at 12:36pm
Start working out JQ, the snow is flying and great ski trails await.   It took my dad about 3 years to adjust when he retired after 38 years working, he has been retired now for 35 years.   I am in year 3 and still figuring it out.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2022 at 7:30pm
Ikon Pass for this winter ski season.  Can’t wait.

Anybody want lodging at the Quest Compound during ski season, give me a call.  I’ll be skiing a lot this year.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2022 at 7:39pm
I’m headed to SLC on Fri. Planning on some runs Sat, before we blast on Sunday.
cspruill View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cspruill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2022 at 10:54pm
JQ, Libby and I did Ikon this year as well.  Looking forward to getting some turns in with you guys in Big/ Little Cottonwood! Let's get together after Thanksgiving for sure!
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2022 at 10:08am
I would say slow down, you'll run out of projects too soon, but I know there is never an end to projects that can be done.  I retired a year ago April (April 21) tho I did not thoroughly retire.  I agreed to stay on with my employer to help with transition.  I thought that would last a few months.  It's been a year and a half and still going. It became kind of a pain in the neck but was pretty easy extra money for 5-10 hrs a week, but as it dragged on, I was ready to wrap it up.  I figured I wouldnt voluntarily leave, but if they got around to saying they didnt need my support anymore, I'd be happy to agree.  That finally happened, so next friday is my last day.  YAY!

I also took another part time job. I always figured I would do something after I retired just to help keep busy and maybe make a few bucks.  For years, the plan was work at the local hardware store (kind of like Pete) but (1) I dont think my back could take standing all day and (2) customers.  Wanting to work around boats was always an attractive thought.  A local (but 30 minutes away so I didnt pursue) boat dealer said he might have room for a yard boy to prep/deliver boats and such. There is a marina about 45 minutes away (too far).  Might have been fun to be a yard boy there, too, but too far for the hourly rate, plus, I'd be the guy that would drop the 2022 G25 off the fork truck when moving a boat from the stacks to the lake.  Also passed on an opportunity to be a waterfront guy at a local resort, helping folks rent pontoon boats, kayaks, paddle boards, that kind of thing.  Passed on that because I didnt want to work evenings, holidays and weekends and didnt want to stand around in the 95 degree heat all summer.  So, before I even quit working, I secured a 2 day a week desk job, working for a residential construction company. (so learning a new business/skill)  Five minutes from home, pretty easy work, better pay that any of those others, good people to work with.  Turned out OK.  I work Tuesdays and Wednesdays, so I have 5 day weekends.

As far as projects, no shortage of those.  I practiced or added many new shingles to my Larry's Services sign to include:
-Lawn Maintenance
-House Painting
-Deck refurbishment/expansion
-Dock Construction
-Gutter Cleaning (ugh, least favorite)
-Motorcycle Repair
-Boat Upholsterer
-Brick Planter Mason
-Garage Cleaner Upper
-Pontoon Boater Tuner Upper
-Part Time Begoggled Barefoot Madman
-Part Time Swerver
-Part Time (unofficial) Slalom Course Homologater

I took the part time job to help fill the time, but I am finding out I would have no trouble keeping busy around the house without it, especially in the summer. 

As far as getting on wifey's nerves like many retired men do, I am lucky.  She still works a part time job which has her out of the house quite a bit, and, whereas I like staying home and puttering, she likes to be out and about when she is not working, so that has worked out pretty well too. More time together than when we were both working but not too much time together.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2022 at 10:59am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

I'd be the guy that would drop the 2022 G25 off the fork truck when moving a boat from the stacks to the lake.

I can just picture the conversation with your boss, "Hey Larry, that's the 5th boat you've dropped this year.  How come you always drop the big wake boats, but never drop any inboard ski boats?"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2022 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

I'd be the guy that would drop the 2022 G25 off the fork truck when moving a boat from the stacks to the lake.

I can just picture the conversation with your boss, "Hey Larry, that's the 5th boat you've dropped this year.  How come you always drop the big wake boats, but never drop any inboard ski boats?"

Now we just need a catastrophic event at the local Jet Ski dealer and we'd be all set for quality flat-water time...

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2022 at 1:20pm
JQ is teasing us now with his erotic fantasies! God bless him!
Tomrupp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomrupp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2022 at 4:25pm
My kids… “Dad, when are we going to get a jet ski?” Me, “After you move out onto your own lake house.”
Tom
94 Ski Nautique Open Bow 351 with Carb
95 Double Decker Aqua Patio with 50hp Honda (3 carbs).
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2022 at 2:36pm
Sorry, just seeing... Congrats Jonny, that is, one hell of a run.. 
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic