Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

water separator maintenance

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
BaccoBouncer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: water separator maintenance
    Posted: October-24-2022 at 3:35pm
Does the water separator have a fine particle filter in it?  What is best practices for the water separator?  Remove and clean each season?  Replace?  Any inspection to see if it is indicative of any issues?
Thanks,
Adam

'97 21' Sport Nautique
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2022 at 4:25pm
I dump my strainer of water each time I winterize to remove water that can freeze. I also remove any material like weeds if they exist.  The strainer is not too fine so sand particles can pass. The lake / River, I boat on seems to have very little weeds. When I take it too White Lake (NC), I would get some weeds in my strainer. So it is going to depend on the body of water you are on. My 1980 did not have a strainer, but I added one. My guess is the older boats did not come from the factory with one. Be sure to keep an eye on the O-Ring when you take it apart.   If not done properly you can have air leaks next spring and have overheating. 
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2022 at 8:17pm
I think he means the fuel water separator. 
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2022 at 9:35pm
Cut him some slack Paul,he's sharing too many Coors Lights with the CQ. To the original post being a 97 I assume we're talking FCC? If your careful of what you put in ie clean cans,hi volume stations it seems you can go for quite some time. But there is a drain plug on the FCC, you could drain it into something and see what comes out. I have seen FCC's corroded inside from not being checked and drained of water

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Tomrupp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomrupp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2022 at 7:21am
Replace the water fuel separator every year. It’s inexpensive maintenance and easy to do. Clean you strainer while your out there.
Tom
94 Ski Nautique Open Bow 351 with Carb
95 Double Decker Aqua Patio with 50hp Honda (3 carbs).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2022 at 11:58am
I converted my EFI to carbs and put a standard separator setup.  I can take a picture of it.  So should I have a separate fuel filter inline?  Sounds like I should put a new one on each year instead of trying to flush it somehow.
'97 21' Sport Nautique
Tomrupp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomrupp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2022 at 12:48pm
You do not need a separate inline filter. I would replace the water / fuel separator annually. It is possible to flush the water fuel separator, just be careful. Fuel in the hull is dangerous of course.
Tom
94 Ski Nautique Open Bow 351 with Carb
95 Double Decker Aqua Patio with 50hp Honda (3 carbs).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2022 at 1:48pm
Great.  Thanks for the info everyone
'97 21' Sport Nautique
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2022 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Cut him some slack Paul,he's sharing too many Coors Lights with the CQ. 

Gary thanks for taking up for me. However, Coor's light Beer is no longer available in my area. They stated that a large USER has purchased all of the inventory. I actually have a finer pallet and I drink Bud Light. 

1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic