Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rotation

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Keepitinfirst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keepitinfirst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rotation
    Posted: October-06-2022 at 4:39pm
My '67 289 says opposite rotatio firing order assuming this is a reverse rotation motor. If upgrading to a standard rotation motor, do you judt change the prop to the opposite rotation?

Steve G
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2022 at 5:44pm
Camshaft and distributor change (or modification) is required.  Rear main seal likely needs to be changed.  Also, some have problems with alternator and/or water circulation pump turning the wrong way. 

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2022 at 7:35pm
I'm thinking he means he's changing the complete engine JQ not converting his old,but thats just a guess. The transmission's pump needs to be reindexed to the left handed position in addition of the prop change. Not a biggie. 
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2022 at 7:37pm
I guess we'll have to assume that you have a Borg Warner Velvet Drive transmission in the boat.

If you hook the transmission that was hooked to your reverse rotation engine to your normal rotation engine without doing anything else to the transmission, you'll have a boat that is in "permanent neutral".

You have to index the pump on the transmission to match the engine rotation, then you'll have a boat that will have Forward, Neutral and Reverse.

So in your case, since you have a normal rotation engine, you would  reindex the pump to match the rotation of the engine and put a LH rotation prop on the boat

You can click on the link below and do a bunch of reading along with probably getting dazed and confused, but then you can just ask more questions here Wink

Is this a whole different engine or a rebuild job on the original with a change in direction of rotation?
Keepitinfirst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keepitinfirst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2022 at 7:56pm
first thought would be to change cam to the "normal" automotive cam because of cam selection is much greater. SO knowing the out put would be spinning the opposite andt drive would become reverse and reverse would become drive. Then just change rotation of the prop. Assuming the drive unit was just a simple forward / reverse gear unit.

Steve G
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2022 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by Keepitinfirst Keepitinfirst wrote:

first thought would be to change cam to the "normal" automotive cam because of cam selection is much greater. SO knowing the out put would be spinning the opposite andt drive would become reverse and reverse would become drive. Then just change rotation of the prop. Assuming the drive unit was just a simple forward / reverse gear unit.

This quote above makes me think you're confused Wink

Read the stuff in the link

So it sounds like the same engine getting rebuilt for normal rotation.........if that's the case, you have quite a bit of other stuff to take into consideration
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2022 at 8:04pm
Ah, Ken, you edited your response in the brief time it took me to verify.  You questioned early 80s Mustang 16.  I guess you checked and found that the 16 ft mustang did make its final curtain call in 82-83.  It caught my eye when I was shopping my first boat, but recall at either 8500 or 10600, somewhere around there, it was too rich for me.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2022 at 8:07pm
I think you're in the wrong thread here Larry Wink

I didn't edit anything in the other one though.

I still think there was no 16 ft Mustang in 81..........there was a 16 ft Ski Tique though.

Here's an Edit...............found it in the 82 brochure but not in 81. Must have been back by popular demand Wink

Neil added the part about it being an 82.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2022 at 8:30pm
OK Ken, now I'm lost.  Thought it was this thread, entirely possible it wasnt, but now I cant find what thread it was.  Help me out here.  I think I'm having a senior moment.  I know I read somewhere something that sounded like doubts about early 80s mustangs.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2022 at 8:40pm
Here's a link

I thought the 16 was gone in the 80's but you mentioned it and I saw that Neil corrected it to be an 82 in the linked thread.

After you mentioned it, I looked in the brochures again and the 81 doesn't have it but the 82 has it again

Maybe it just didn't make the brochure in 81?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2022 at 8:59pm
Scary mind fart.  I couldnt find that wiring thread to save my life, now that you linked it for me it all came back. Cant believe it didnt ring a bell in going down through the topics.

There are 81s in the diaries, but I didnt think there were 81s (cant believe everything you see on the internet) I thought the 80s mustangs were only around for 2 years: 82 and 83.  Could have been 81s. Not sure.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2022 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by Keepitinfirst Keepitinfirst wrote:

So your talking of converting your reverse engine to standard ? Your first problem will be the oil coming out of your rear main seal. Early 260's,289's and 302's have knurling on the crank to "wind" oil back in away from the seal. Turn the crank the other way it will push oil out of the engine.  Second problem is easily fixed - you cannot run a velvet drive like you think - the reverse section of the trans has only one internal plate it will start slipping when using it for forward. But like Ken says all you have to do is unbolt it's pump and reattach it in the proper place for an opposite turning input.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2022 at 5:54am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Scary mind fart.  I couldnt find that wiring thread to save my life, now that you linked it for me it all came back. Cant believe it didnt ring a bell in going down through the topics.

I just figure this is CCF, where anything can come up in any thread (and be hard to find at times) Wink
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2022 at 6:08am
And you can't forget about the starter.....it needs to be replaced with a normal rotation one.Wink
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2022 at 7:40am
Not to mention trash the handling of the boat
FrankBee3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankBee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2023 at 7:09pm
I can confirm that installing an automotive engine (left hand prop) will destroy the handling of the boat. I bought a 1984 Ski Nautique that had an automotive engine installed. At the time, I didn't know the difference. After three years of working on the boat, I put it in the water and realized that I had to hang on to the steering wheel to keep the boat from turning hard right. Like full stop hard right. Meaning it would throw one out of the boat if you were going fast and let go of the wheel.

The best thing I ever did was buy another marine reverse rotation engine, overhaul it and reconvert everything back to a right hand prop. Now the boat tracks perfectly straight, even with hands off the wheel and no longer has the boat listing towards the driver even when running straight.

I think it's better to buy the marine parts and spend a bit more money on engine parts than to completely destroy the handling of the boat.

My biggest learning experience is to buy a boat that hasn't been hacked in every way imaginable that cost many many thousands to put back right again..

Please don't go through the effort to "improve" your boat by changing engine rotation from it's original design. It is so very expensive to screw it up and then make it right again.

I wish I had done my research on Ski Nautiques before buying my basket case of a boat. The good news is that my boat has new stringers, floor, overhauled transmission and a fully overhauled reverse rotation engine in it again. Now, after spending way too much money learning everything the hard way, I like operating the boat.

I could write a book on what not to do. I do plan on showing photos and a write up of my project as soon as I get some time to put it together and post it on this forum.

I am very grateful for the help that was given from many of the knowledgeable members here. This site has given me the inspiration to stay with the project and I am happy with the result. I am still not completely finished, but at least the boat can be enjoyed once the nearby lakes thaw out..
1984 Ski Nautique, project bigger than anticipated
Staring down a stringer and floor replacement
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2023 at 10:24pm

Tim D
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2023 at 10:26pm
Tim D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic