Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bumper rail roap

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Susan's 78 Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan's 78 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bumper rail roap
    Posted: September-27-2022 at 12:02pm
Anyone know how I can get my hands on rope replacement for our bumper rail for a 1978 ski Tique? I think I need 50 ft. white, 3/8 nylon
My '78 Ski Tique Family Boat
Purchased NEW in the summer of '78
Restoring it LIKE NEW for the summer of 2018!
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2022 at 11:21am
Susan, you can get replacement rope from nautique parts or lowes/HD. I replaced the rope in my 88' SN back in 09 with rope from Lowes. Still looks good in 2022 especially if you hit it with a pressure washer at the beginning of the year.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan's 78 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2022 at 11:35am
Wow, is it marine rope? 3/8”?
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2022 at 11:39am
I found/used some from Amazon. Looks great. Warmth helps the install. 
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan's 78 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2022 at 12:12pm
Wow, for some reason I did not think about looking on Amazon. I definitely want to get twisted vs braided, which was in the boat originally but what is best, nylon or cotton?
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2022 at 12:30pm
Nylon
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan's 78 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2022 at 12:37pm
10-4! Thanks
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2022 at 12:50pm
I don't think I'd run right out and buy the rope yet since nobody has answered your question about the rope diameter. 

It's bigger and a really tight fit to get it in the rubber part.

I'd pull a little of the old rope out and measure it if nobody pops up with a good answer 

Or click on the link below for some reading  Wink

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2022 at 3:07pm
Kens correct if it’s the same as my ‘85.
If your rubrail is original it takes a 5/8” rope, if it’s what they are selling now it takes 1/2” rope.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan's 78 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2022 at 3:29pm
The original rub rail was really ripped up so we replaced it a couple of years ago during our restoration project. The Replacement rope we put in was 1/2” (which was thicker than the original). There is no way that 5/8” would fit.
However, the guy that put it in for us cut it too short and it shrank! Since we need to start again, we thought we’d go a little smaller because we thought the 1/2” seemed too fat. Plus we can’t figure out how to get it in.
Here is a picture…

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan's 78 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2022 at 3:35pm
Well I love everything I learned from you guys and from this forum but I struggle with how to do things… Like post a picture

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan's 78 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2022 at 3:38pm
I will post a picture once I can figure it out. I bought new bumper rail and rope from Christine’s marine a couple of years ago
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2022 at 5:04pm
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan's 78 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2022 at 12:03pm

Hey Gary,

Thanks for this image. This helps a LOT. The link to the video is a different subject so I think that is not likely the video you intended to send. That said, It looks like everyone thinks i need to get the 1/2" rope, which is what we have in it now. As you can see, It really Shrank!?ConfusedConfused

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2022 at 12:36pm
The link works for me. It's a 14 second video showing someone pushing a black rope into the rubber part..

Click on replay at the far left and maybe it'll go back to the beginning of what he linked........ it did for me.

Or here it is again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan's 78 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2022 at 8:50pm
Thank you!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic