Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starter solenoid

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Tom85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starter solenoid
    Posted: September-18-2022 at 8:59am
I have a 1986 martinique with a 351. A week ago I replaced the starter solenoid be cause I quit working. And now yesterday I dad to replace it again. We took the boat out and now that it’s back home. The solenoid is bad again just clicking. Battery has good voltage. If I jump the solenoid the starter will turn the engine. Any Ideas why the solenoid keeps burning up? The one yesterday smelled like burnt electrical components.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2022 at 5:23am
How are you jumping the solenoid?

A small jumper wire from battery cable connection to the "s" terminal so that the solenoid would work the way it's supposed to (this energizes the internal coil in the solenoid connecting the battery cable terminal to the starter terminal) ?

Or maybe jumping across the 2 big battery and starter cables which bypasses the internal coil in the solenoid.

Since the solenoid is grounded by being bolted to it's bracket, did you have a good clean tight ground?

I'd also check voltage to the "s" terminal while the solenoid is clicking.and post your reading.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic