Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Marine vs Automotive Alternators

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
man0seven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote man0seven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marine vs Automotive Alternators
    Posted: September-10-2022 at 11:39am
I guess this goes for more than just alternators but is it ok to use automotive replacement parts vs the marine versions? In my case the alternator for the PCM 330 Excalibur is 300ish from Nautique parts and close on skidim but I can find it much cheaper even at my local auto parts store. Is it ok to use an automotive alternator? I’ve used other auto parts in some other cases.
2005 Ski Nautique
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2022 at 12:59pm
Depends on what you value your life and the lives of others around you when you are boating.  Explosions happen when gas fumes and spark mix.  Assuming the automotive is $100 that leaves a value of $200 for injury or death.  Harsh but true.  Try DB electrical. They offer some options for Marine versus automotive.   There is also a tab on their site that explains the differences.
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2022 at 2:51pm
I think what you're looking at on NautiqueParts has a PCM part number of RA 097009 and is a Delco 11SI or an "overseas clone" of the original Delco.

If you click on the link below to DB Electrical you'll find their clone that cross references to your alternator

Or.........do a Google search for RA 097009 and you'll find plenty of clones from plenty of places at a variety of prices. Wink Just make sure the picture looks like yours

Since you really don't know the difference in the auto and marine versions other than the marine version meets USCG requirements for spark protection, get one from someplace like DB Electrical that meets the requirements.

The cheap automotive one is most likely one of those overseas clones anyways but doesn't meet the USCG requirements.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2022 at 4:32pm
As opposed to cheap overseas marine clones that DB sells..... ;)
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2022 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Umm............read my post again Gary, it says something about DB Electrical's being a clone

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I think what you're looking at on NautiqueParts has a PCM part number of RA 097009 and is a Delco 11SI or an "overseas clone" of the original Delco.

If you click on the link below to DB Electrical you'll find their clone that cross references to your alternator

Or.........do a Google search for RA 097009 and you'll find plenty of clones from plenty of places at a variety of prices. Wink Just make sure the picture looks like yours

Since you really don't know the difference in the auto and marine versions other than the marine version meets USCG requirements for spark protection, get one from someplace like DB Electrical that meets the requirements.

The cheap automotive one is most likely one of those overseas clones anyways but doesn't meet the USCG requirements.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2022 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Do you like any cheap clones of anything?

How about a DJ raw water pump? Wink
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2022 at 11:29am
Not when it comes to critical parts. No plans on buying a DJ
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2022 at 6:28am
I must have you mixed up with your cousin with the same first name  Wink

He seems to like the pump

He's a hoarder too.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2022 at 10:22am
 Says the pumps not from China? The innovative Chinese lightweight boat anchors seem to be working fine. 

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2022 at 7:53pm
The first time China came up in this thread was you in your last post. Wink

DJ pump 

Overseas........ South Korea

Clone.........an improvement on the Sherwood it was copied from

Cheap ......yep

And it works just fine

Cousin Gary seems to like and recommend them but you don't.

I'd probably be upset about your exhaust too, but I'd be upset with the Australian company you bought them from.

We're probably all big enough boys to figure out where we're gonna spend our money on different things and also figure out how many "American" companies are part of big worldwide conglomerates with manufacturing facilities scattered through a whole pile of cheap labor countries.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic