NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

observer seat carpet protection??

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: observer seat carpet protection??
    Posted: September-07-2022 at 3:50pm
Hey guys, now that I Have all my new interior finished (new carpet and new upholstery)  the thing that is bugging me, is the bottom edge of the dang observer seat wearing a channel into the new carpet.  It looks like there use to be some type of black "padding" that is on the bases edge, but that has been long worn away.  Is there anything to replace that so it is padded and doesn't wear down my carpet?

Here is the pic of what I am talking about, you can see the seat is already putting a nice groove into my new carpet. 

'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2022 at 4:25pm
The carpet originally wrapped under and inside the seat base which would be carpet on carpet, adding a little padding to the floor.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2022 at 10:00am
What does the bottom  edge of the seat look like? so we can form a solution
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2022 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

The carpet originally wrapped under and inside the seat base which would be carpet on carpet, adding a little padding to the floor.

Incorrect.  at least for the 90-93..I can't speak to other years but the carpet wraps down and under, BUT, then there is a black rubber piece of half round trim that is over that.. Mine is worn away to just this little steel band of reinforcement that is in the rubber edge.

I'll snap a pic of it tonight if I get a chance. 

flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2022 at 9:01pm
Ok, as promised here are pics of that black "trim" piece around the bottom edge of my observer seat. It is a nice soft rubber, but inside where it's worn down it is lined with some sort of metal conduit, almost like flexible electrical conduit, but it's not. 

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2022 at 8:34am
Looks like the same type of trim used on the gas tank panels in the 70’s. Despite being worn in places, replacement won’t help- the wear line is normal since all the weight is concentrated in a small area. If you want to stop or reduce the wear, increase the surface area that the seat is sitting on (a wider carpet wrapped edge like used in later boats is better).
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2022 at 9:29pm
I guess by '95 they got smart, as mine had the wider flange wrapped in carpet like Tim described.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic