NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Will only run on 1/2 throttle

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Trader144 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader144 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will only run on 1/2 throttle
    Posted: September-02-2022 at 7:27pm
Hi,
I have a 1988 ski Nautique 2001 with a 351W and a Holley 4bb. The Holley only has 2 mixture screws and does not have a float adjustment.

The boat will only start if I am at half throttle and it will only run at half throttle and runs poorly.
Right before it runs out of gas it starts running very well.
At this level of throttle it puts a ton of gas into the primary bowl.

Back story:
Very few problems for 5 years.
Kept in temperature controlled garage during last winter, drained water, laid on tongue. Before I put it up I was having bogging issues under load when pulling a skier.
When I first started it at the beginning of summer it had a ton of blue smoke and required 1/2 throttle to start and run and ran very rough. 
Work done so far:
Changed oil and filter to 10W40 from the VR racing oil to thicken gaskets and stop smoke - this helped reduce the smoke significantly
PCV valve still clicks when you shake it so it should be ok
New plugs, gapped, visually tested each plug and each is sparking
Drained and put in new new premium fuel with lead substitute and seafoam
New metal fuel line
Replaced fuel filter last year
New fuel pump
New Coil
Timing is around 10.5-11
Pulled front and back bowls off carb, cleaned up and re-gasketed, cleaned out all of the orfices carefully and sprayed with carb cleaner to make sure they were clear. 
Replaced carb accelerator pump and it is squirting well.
I can see gas flowing into the carb - of course at 1/2 throttle it is alot.
A few days ago I got it to run well at idle 700-1000 rpm but it won't anymore.
Checked oil and it is very clean.
Rear bowl seems to engage when you open it up.
Changed the electronic idle setting a lot, no changes, the carb vent never seems to close
make sure the accelerator pump is not pushed down
Reset and worked with the idle mixture screws - no improvements or declines

Any suggestions?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2022 at 8:34pm
It sounds to me like your carburetor could use a rebuild whether by you or someone else.

Your 2 mixture screws and no EXTERNAL adjustment for the floats is normal on an 88. They can be adjusted by bending a tab internally.

Did you take out the floats and needle and seat assemblies on the primary and secondary bowls as part of your cleaning? It sound kinda like you have junk keeping the needle from seating and dumping lots of extra gas into the engine.

Did you clean the primary metering block on the carburetor or the air bleeds?

I'll guess that your electronic idle setting is really the electric choke and if it won't ever close it's probably broke or you're turning the cap the wrong way. Counterclockwise will make it want to close the choke butterfly (the thing you're calling the vent)

One suggestion..............buy or download one of the many Holley books on the market these days. it'll be the best money you've spent on the boat in a while,

I'd get a paper version since you can have it right in front of you with loads of pictures and full of correct terminology.

I keep a copy in the bathroom for those times when "it takes a while".

After that maybe you can do a rebuild or decide to send it somewhere

It starts running very well right before running out of gas because at that point you're not dumping too much into the engine.
Trader144 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader144 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2022 at 3:40am
Thanks. A few things I forgot to mention:
This Carb does not have a sight gauge or side screw to see the float level.
There are 2 ports that I can connect a vacuum gauge - one at the front top of the carb (no reading) and a large port at the back on the spacer between the manifold and the carb. When I connected a vacuum gauge to the rear port of the carb spacer, I got a pressure reading of 2-3.
After spraying carb cleaner around the carb spacer I did not identify any air leaks.
Spark plugs have no oil on them, but are very black which I believe indicates the rich fuel situation and fuel burns very quickly.

What would cause the 1/2 throttle requirement to get it to start and run? The carb float/needle?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2022 at 7:07am
No plug to remove or sight glass is normal on the Holley's with internally adjustable floats.

The gas dumping in is probably due to poor seating between the needle and seat.

Vacuum at the spacer connection should be in the mid teens to twenty when it's idling in neutral.

The other one is probably the spot where your fuel pump overflow tube would hook up and there isn't any vacuum there. It's just a spot for the fuel to dump into the carburetor and stall the engine or make it run lousy if you have a ruptured diaphragm in the fuel pump.
Trader144 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader144 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2022 at 1:16pm
Thank you
Just FYI the new fuel pump does not have a sight tube- skdim couldn’t get that version from the manufacturer
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2022 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by Trader144 Trader144 wrote:

Thank you
Just FYI the new fuel pump does not have a sight tube- skdim couldn’t get that version from the manufacturer

So what did they send you for a pump?

If it's a Carter M6696 which shows up on their website at a price that's well.............kinda high, the connection for the tube is on the backside of the pump 180 degrees from the fitting on your old pump and would be a short stubby little fitting

Or you just have a hole there that the fitting would press in to

Or maybe it's a whole different style pump.
Trader144 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader144 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2022 at 2:45pm
I spoke with them and they only had one that was slightly different without the tube - they could not get the original one for over a year also have a video showing it installed on a 351w. Yes the price was high but I was hoping that was the last thing needed to get it to work. 

Here it is:
https://skidim.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=47-7267

Since I am already doing work on the carb, seems like I might as well replace the gaskets on the carb, valve cover, manifold, and valve stem seals...agree? This would eliminate most of the other options causing air leaks and the blue smoke.

I saw a few videos on how to replace the valve stem steals without removing the heads by using compressed air into the spark plug hole.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2022 at 6:01pm
What they sold you was a Sierra knock off, clone (or whatever you want to call it) of an AC dual diaphragm marine pump for a 351w

They came on mid 70's PCM engines and then PCM started using the single diaphragm Carter pumps with the sight tube later in the 70's. (unlike what the video says)

The pancake type adapter between the 2 diaphragms with the 1/8 inch pipe plug screwed into it originally had a sight bowl screwed in there with a little message printed on a plastic tab inside the bowl.

Here are a couple of pictures

An AC fuel pump all dressed up in 76 PCM blue Wink

and here's the message in the bowl

In your case there's nothing to tell you that the primary diaphragm has failed with that pipe plug in there.

It'll keep pumping away on the secondary diaphragm till that decides to fail at some point

Some people have put in a 1/8 NPT to 1/4 hose barb fitting and run the plastic hose from that that up to the carburetor or flame arrestor to tell them the primary diaphragm has failed

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic