Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lake Havasu skiers??

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
wetskier2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lake Havasu skiers??
    Posted: August-29-2022 at 9:15am
We are thinking about traveling to Lake Havasu in February 2023 instead of Florida but have serious reservations about dragging our Nautique 2800 miles each way instead of the 1600 we've learned to handle pretty easily... Open to ideas to ease the pain. A rental house that includes a tournament boat would be ideal...

One thought is a camper van so one of us could stretch out, nap, watch TV comfortably while the other drives... Launching with a 2wd van sounds iffy, however...

thanks,

Rick

Current: 1997 Nautique

Previous: 1987 Nautique

1964 American Skier
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2022 at 9:56am
Havasu is not a good lake for skiing.  There are probably a few spots up river that aren't too bad but definitely not worth the drive.  We went this last Memorial Day and probably will never go back.  It's a big boat party lake.  Also, the water was pretty cold in May so Feb wouldn't be much fun.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
James T Brockma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James T Brockma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2022 at 12:27pm
I am by no means an expert on Lake Havasu but have been on and in the water a number of times including the months of October and February. In February I would expect the lake water to be very cold with potential for wind chop and the water in the Colorado River to be glass with water temperatures to be around 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Be aware there is a no water sports restriction from the markers where you enter the Colorado River on the north side of the lake until well passed Topock 66 Marina. I don’t recall exactly but it seemed to be about a 10 mile stretch of restricted area. The other major factor you will encounter is the potential for very hazardous cross country driving conditions that time of year. If you are dead set on Havasu in February I would highly recommend flying out and renting a boat. Havasu is much more of a party “go fast” lake than a ski lake.
Jim '06 216

'98 SN 176
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2022 at 3:12pm
Regardless what destination you choose the long trips can be much easier in the Van.  I went to Detroit from California trailering both ways.   Used a Dodge Sprinter/Mercedes Sprinter Van, it was the short wheelbase version with single rear axles.  Mercedes Diesel V6.  Towing we averaged 16 MPG and we were towing very hard on a deadline so we went 70-85 the entire trip, towed a Toyota Camry back and brought a 66 Corvette back home so towing weight was around 5,000 pounds both ways..  Had a full bed in the back so if you were not driving you could actually sleep very comfortably.   Only bad part, my buddy was driving through Michigan, I was exhausted after a long time at the wheel so I was sound asleep in the rear bed.  I woke up about 2 feet in the air above the bed and landed only to be bounced out again.  I got up and my buddy says Sorry, in Michigan they call these Craters pot holes.   The roads were terrible in Michigan, beat the hell out of our car.   I bet they sell more chassis parts in that state than any other.  Huge Pot Holes were everywhere on the highway.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2022 at 7:53pm
hmmm... those don't sound like rave reviews... Any sites we should be thinking about in the Southwest that would be better suited for a couple die-hard slalom skiers?? Skiable rivers that might be a little warmer than 50?

1964 American Skier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2022 at 8:24pm
The southwest isn't really a water skiing destination.  There are plenty of lakes and rivers to go to in the spring/summer/fall but February is winter.  We can get some decent weather that time of year but we can also get really bad weather and either way the water will be on the cool side.  I'm sure plenty of locals do still do water sports that time of year when the weather is good but I wouldn't drive across the country to find out.  I think people ski year round in San Diego Mission Bay but it's salt water.  The earliest we start is April but it is usually windy and the water is cold.  I think Florida would be the place to go for winter water sports.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2022 at 7:19am
Obviously, bringing our drysuits would not be our first choice... However, to the casual observer, it looked like there might be enough decent size fingers/coves on Havasu to find some smooth water... Is that not the case?

1964 American Skier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2022 at 11:07am
I guess it would be the same as most lakes.  Depending on the weather and the amount of boat traffic you can probably find some decent water.  We went in October a long time ago and I skied down near the dam.  As James mentioned they have shut down towed water sports in the Wildlife Refuge.  That used to be where the hard core skiers would go.  I remember it was a huge controversy a few years ago and I think it still is.  They originally tried to make it a no wake zone until a state senator got involved and overruled the Fish and Game.  When we were there in May we went up river and I don't remember seeing any signs or buoys so maybe they aren't enforcing it yet.  That is also a consideration you will need a spotter in Az and Ca.  There is a lot of on the water enforcement in that area.  Historically, The Parker Strip has been home to avid water skiers.  That may be a better option.  You can also rent houses on the water in Parker.

92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2022 at 7:21pm
I looked at some rentals south of the dam... The owner said the water levels were so crazy that an inboard boat  is not recommended....

1964 American Skier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2022 at 8:43pm
Interesting.  I wouldn't hesitate to run my boat at Parker.  The people I know that go there regularly are all running either I/Os or inboards.  Maybe up near the dam it's a problem.  There is a dam that creates the Parker Strip and the river below that can be sketchy.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2022 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

Interesting.  I wouldn't hesitate to run my boat at Parker.  The people I know that go there regularly are all running either I/Os or inboards.  Maybe up near the dam it's a problem.  There is a dam that creates the Parker Strip and the river below that can be sketchy.

Is the area you are running above the dam? Nevermind... Google maps is my friend... Yes, the rental house was fairly close to the dam. I suspect you are skiing quite south of that area...

1964 American Skier
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic