Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1978 Mustang combustion issue

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
pooba2u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pooba2u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1978 Mustang combustion issue
    Posted: August-26-2022 at 12:28pm
I have a 78 Mustang (351 - 4 barrel Holley) that runs rough (chugs and will not run but half speed at best). Had new points and plugs put in recently and the boat ran great for a few weeks...but now runs rough.  Not sure if its a fuel issue (changed water/fuel separator) or a firing issue....any pointers would be much appreciated.....
pooba2u
CanvasVapor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CanvasVapor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2022 at 5:23pm
Recheck the gap on the points? The gap is just a starting point, better to check the dwell and adjust the points gap 'til you get the correct dwell, then check timing. Distributor advance springs failed or worn?

Fuel quality or supply issue? Gunk in the tank blocking pickup tube, or maybe tank vent or anti-siphon clogged? 

More description would help. Is it hard to start? Runs rough when it does start, or runs well then gets rough, maybe when hot or after a few minutes? Running rough through the whole rpm range? Have you checked any of the spark plugs?

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2022 at 5:41pm
Some install new points but do not lubricate the lobes.  The points can wear down and start closing, leaving you stranded.  Points used to come with a little lube but have not seen that in a while.   Where the points rub against the distributor lobes needs a little lube.  I have used a little grease with no issue.  Just a film, not a glob.
pooba2u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pooba2u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2022 at 10:31am
Boat starts ok, would run fine, then I began to notice some rough (bogging) running at higher rpms(+3000).  Now the boat is consistently rough running throughout rpm range though more noticeable as rpms increase.
pooba2u
CanvasVapor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CanvasVapor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2022 at 4:33pm
Are you sure you're getting enough fuel? Maybe the carb has some blockage. Have good spark at all cylinders? Coil voltage? Full disclosure, I'm guessing based on lots of reading on this forum. It's gotta be one of fuel, spark, or timing. 

It's the bogging at higher RPMs that make me think the timing is the problem and not advancing the timing enough. Maybe a spring was failing, giving you poor running at high rpms, then broke and is now giving you a rough time throughout the whole rpm range now. 

To check the distributor springs, take the cap off, and the plate the points attach to (you're seeing the underside of that plate in the pic), and check the condition of the springs for the mechanical advance. (You might be able to get that plate off without removing the points from it and disturbing your gap, but you'll want to check that again anyway when you're done.) Those springs may be broken/loose and giving you bad timing. Pic from my '87 351w when I changed the points a couple months ago. 

pooba2u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pooba2u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2022 at 9:58am
I removed the distributor cap and lightly scraped the tip of the rotor and the distributor points.  Problem solved.  Boat purrs again.....Thanks to all for steering me in the right direction....
pooba2u
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic