NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Excalibur 330 misfire

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
steve600 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2022 at 6:54am
Yes it was a great V7…unfortunately I had just bought the boat and had nothing to go by as far as how it should run. Coming from a simple to work on 1984 2001.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2022 at 7:29am
Well, "ya done good" ...............and saved a bunch of money not making that short tow to NECC   Wink

steve600 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2022 at 9:37am
Thanks KENO👍
bfosbenner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfosbenner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2023 at 10:07pm
So my story is similar except in 2021 my  196 with 2,000 hours ..... misfire under load at 28-30 mph, slight misfire at 32 and gone at faster speeds.  
 I changed cap, rotor, coil, cranks sensor, new distributor with cap and rotor,  map sensor, spark plugs, wires,  cylinder heads (one water jacket leaked anyway. Fuel Injectors,  alternator (possible ac ripple to ecm, seemed to get better if unplugged )  Tried another boats ECM,  My next step was to check timing chain backlash and when I pulled the cap it was all burnt up.  So I got a new AC Delco cap and rotor and installed on my original distributor.  All was ok!!! Great,  fast forward  to 5/28/23  Misfire came back exactly the same. Tried Accel cap, no change.  Cam retard is 0.  Ill try an new AC Delco again this week.

steve600 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2023 at 10:26pm
Sounds like my headache, chasing everything! I had put new plugs in mine and kept saying it can’t be the plugs, they are new plugs. Low and behold try another set of plugs and problem gone. In my 25 years of working on engines that was the first bad new plug for me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfosbenner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2023 at 11:55pm
Update,  New GM cap and rotor did not fix. I also have stuck thermostat and engine is running cold. Part is on order.......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfosbenner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2023 at 9:00pm
Update,  New thermostat solved the problem!!!
steve600 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote steve600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2023 at 9:09pm
Awesome…,chased your tail for a while but you got it!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfosbenner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2023 at 9:42pm
I'm still not sure what the cold engine temp reading is doing to cause the misfire.  Maybe a bit too much fuel.  With no O2 sensor I cant really tell.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2023 at 12:02am
It’s not a closed loop system so spark and fuel levels are fixed in the tune - with the temp not right the tune isnt right.   My excal will misfire until warmed up when the water is really cold so seems reasonable it might not be real happy with a thermostat stuck open.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfosbenner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2023 at 9:42pm
My question is what is actually happening?  Is it running  rich with the extra fuel building up somewhere causing the misfire?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2023 at 10:41pm
I don’t think it knows the temp and adds fuel - I think more likely it needs more fuel because of the air density and the cold chamber. Just a guess though- I just know that it will
Misfire spring or fall until warmed up - if your thermostat isn’t working it won’t warm up and could keep misfiring
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2023 at 5:10pm
Faulty parts are becoming more common. Probably non usa manufacturing
I watch tooo Much roadkill TV etc. they had two new distributors out of box bad. Stumped ‘‘em for a bit but the dulstich had several spares to try everything. 2 bad out of box from Orielly or such
Are you going to rebuild all or limp along with coed stuff.
As budget allows
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic