Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Having throttle system issues!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
skyfuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyfuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Having throttle system issues!
    Posted: July-29-2022 at 11:42pm
I have a ‘69 Wildcat and I believe it needs a whole new Morse throttle cable replacement. The housing/shifter/neutral lock probably just needs fine tuning/grease. The cable where it connects to the transmission is not performing as should. Under operation, it shifts to reverse and back to neutral but not going into forward. The engine just revs in forward. I had to paddle back in to my dock. 

With that said, the Marina that services my boat has been aware of the Morse throttle system issue since last year when I notified them that the shifting seemed problematic especially the neutral pullout knob was very difficult to pull out enough to rev on a cold start. but they haven’t any luck finding new parts whether they’re looking for the whole system or just new cables. Anyone know if these parts are on back order world wide?? I had the boat performing fine when it was launched yesterday and this morning it malfunctioned upon docking. The bracket piece that holds the cable to the engine with 2 screws had become disconnected and although a service call came out to fix, we assumed it was that simple but as stated above, the boat now won’t go into forward. Any help appreciated!
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=7613&sort=&pagenum=1
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2022 at 7:16am
If you click on the link below you'll find all kinds of replacements for the Morse throttle cables

You'll have to figure out the length. I'd replace the cable ends too at the same time since they wear and can cause sloppy shifting

The Morse MV-1 throttle went the way of the dinosaur a long time ago, but they can be taken apart and cleaned and regreased.

Assuming that you have an MV-1 throttle controller here's a link to an old thread about disassembly and cleaning

It's got lots of pictures Wink

Silly question but is it safe to assume you can shift into forward with the lever on the transmission with the cable disconnected at the transmission and the boat goes forward? Or in other words you don't have transmission issues.
skyfuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyfuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2022 at 7:40am
I will take a look at your links thank you. I ended up watching a youtube video of a guy disassembling an old MV Morse helm and my mind is boggling with all those delicate parts inside. I’m frustrated with my marina not doing this over the winter since I squawked about it last summer. And finding someone to do this I fear will be a big challenge. I would think that yes the transmission shifter lever can be manipulated without the cable end attached.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2022 at 12:16pm
If your neutral button is sticky etc. pull it out and spray some WD40 on it and exercise it in and out a handful of times as a cheap easy first attempt at making the control work a little easier.

I'd also see how the control box works with the throttle and shift cables disconnected at the carburetor and transmission before digging into the control.
swilliams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2022 at 4:49pm
I did mine following that link. Very helpful. Quite difficult to get it off the boat and into your hands though.
1976 Martinique,350 Omc. 1975 Glastron/Carlson CV16,115 Merc.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2022 at 6:56am
You still stuck at the dock with no forward?
skyfuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyfuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2022 at 7:38am
No got that problem fixed so was able to use the boat. Helm still loose, neutral button still hard to pull out sometimes but after a service call, he reattached the trans cable more securely and it shifted fine.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic