Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351w distributor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
form&function View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351w distributor
    Posted: July-22-2022 at 12:33pm
Sold
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2022 at 3:50pm
Assuming that it looks like the one in the link with the same part number, that vacuum advance canister just screams "I ain't a marine distributor" .

Could be good for somebody's land based 351w though Wink

link

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2022 at 11:15am
It comes with the vacuum delete bar and different advance springs. Only issue is using the original brass rh gear and its condition. If a person has a serviceable rh gear this would be a awesome setup.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2022 at 6:03pm
Deleting the vacuum advance really does nothing to make it more "marine"

The hole where the mechanism comes through the distributor housing needs to be sealed and in the case of your MSD, there are extra vent holes drilled into the base of the housing and they have flame arrestor screens in the holes.

And then there's the little label on the distributor that says it's ignition protected and meets USCG and Underwriters Lab requirements.

That goes on after they pay for some expensive testing that jacks up the price from the automotive version.

It's a good distributor but better suited for a car.

People put on non marine parts all the time, ignoring the ignition protection requirements, justifying in their own minds why their non spark protected setup is OK or why their homegrown marine conversion is OK.

Some get away with it for a long time or forever, some aren't breathing anymore or maybe they just had bad burns and a long hospital visit and don't look quite the same any more Wink

I'd list it on EBAY, FB marketplace, Craigslist etc as just what it is.............an automotive distributor.

Your price seems reasonable and you'll have a lot bigger audience than here.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2022 at 1:27pm
The delete bar seals the hole completely and it's multi section billet housing is ten times more secure than my factory one if not twice as good as my Mallory marine dis. The msd is actually vented in the cap with a screen and check valve. The factory marine dist is a joke and the cap flops around with no seal what so ever. Besides that msd is ignition protected to meet track requirements.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2022 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by form&function form&function wrote:

The delete bar seals the hole completely and it's multi section billet housing is ten times more secure than my factory one if not twice as good as my Mallory marine dis. The msd is actually vented in the cap with a screen and check valve. The factory marine dist is a joke and the cap flops around with no seal what so ever. Besides that msd is ignition protected to meet track requirements.

Let's put it this way, it's not built like the marine MSD, it doesn't have the pedigree and whatever you think about it's suitability in your mind, well, that's your mind and it seems like no one will change it. 

Here's Holley's info on the distributor in the link

If you have the seal for the factory distributor, the cap doesn't flop around, and however much of a Joke you think it is, it has the pedigree

That's all I got here, good luck with selling your automotive distributor Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2022 at 11:30am
You sound a lot like a couple faa friends of mine. Damn the facts,what's the paperwork say.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2022 at 1:13pm

You're obviously way smarter than the rest of us so like I said earlier Wink

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

[QUOTE=form&function]

That's all I got here, good luck with selling your automotive distributor Wink
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2022 at 3:53pm
Form and Function, he is just trying to let you know that a spark in an enclosed engine causes explosions, yep, you need to mix a fuel leak into the mix for that to happen so it is rare but I used to ski with a guy that lost 2 separate friends due to boat explosions.  He taught me to always use the blower and pounded it into my normal practice when using the boat.   The guy that taught me was Johnny Matranga, his daughter went on to be a world champion water skier and Johnny was a Pro Driver.  I believed him.

If your non marine distributor can be sealed it can be made safe but if not it should not be in a boat with an enclosed engine like a Ski Nautique that is all Ken was trying to state and he is correct.   I ran one in my Malibu Skier for 20 years out of ignorance, I did not think of the exposed spark issue and I should have, I would not do it again.  My family spent hundreds of hours in that Malibu.  I was lucky and got away with it.  Not all do.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic