Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

stiff steering - can I lube the cable ??

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
PhiloM5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhiloM5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stiff steering - can I lube the cable ??
    Posted: July-20-2022 at 1:37pm
Hi everyone !  I haven't posted in a long while but today is the day Smile

I have a 1997 19-6 with closed bow with 140 hrs.  Yup, only 140 !!  Anyway, the boat is seeing more use and mostly take her out for Saturday inner harbor cruising.  On one fine Saturday I failed to tighten the pickup hose at the through-hull fitting and nearly sank the boat.  I tried to flush everything out with fresh water and all looks well except for really stiff steering.  The steering will loosen up slightly after cruising for the day but nothing like it was prior to taking on water.  

So, is there a way I can lube up the steering cable or should I just replace it ?  And, there's some play in the rack.., is this adjustable ? 

Thx in advance. 

Phil.
97 Ski
97.3 hrs
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2022 at 4:45pm
Typically, cables are not designed to be lubed by the end user.  Your likely remedy is to replace the cable.  Do your homework and search this site for “steering cable replacement” (or similar search phrases) and you will be reading for hours.  Also look at the helm end (steering wheel) and the rudder end to ensure you have proper function of each.  

If you do change out the cable, attach a rope to one end so that as you pull the old cable out, the “guide rope” will allow for easy insertion of the new cable.  If you don’t, getting the cable into the proper position and openings will be a b!tch.  

JQ 
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
PhiloM5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhiloM5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2022 at 5:31pm
Thx Jonny !   Appreciate the help. 

P.
97 Ski
97.3 hrs
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2022 at 6:31pm
Since your boat is so new, only 140 hours, Wow, I thought mine was really young but I am over 200 hrs now.  Ok back to your boat, the cable may be shot but before changing I would remove it from the rudder and verify that your rudder is operating smoothly.   At 100 hours I pulled my rudder and installed new rope seal and greased it, added a grease zerk at the same time.  It has been very smooth since.  I hope you get off easy also.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2022 at 6:51pm
Phil

If you decide that you're changing your cable, you need to keep in mind that you have a rack type cable as opposed to the earlier rotary type cable.

If you follow the directions for pulling a rotary cable out, you'll be doing some cussin' and you won't be too happy so make sure you're reading about pulling a rack type cable out and installing a new one.

The rack type you pull from the front of the boat with a rope tied/taped to the back then when it's out you hook the rope to the back of the new cable and pull from the back of the boat.

It's just the opposite of what you do with a rotary cable.

Here's a link to a thread on changing a rack type cable

Plenty more threads if you search for "rack type steering cable replacement"

His was a Sport Nautique so you may find some small differences, but it tells you how to do the job.

Some pictures are missing after the "great picture purge of 2020" Wink
TimN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2022 at 2:33pm
How did you add a Grease Zerk to the rudder housing?

Tim
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2022 at 2:51am
If you are taking the rudder apart to install new rope seals, it can be dropped down to remove it from the rudder box.   Once it is out of the way you can drill and tap a hole and install a grease zerk.  The factory did not have this so they did not think it was necessary.   To be honest, I installed my zerk in 2014 or 2015 and have not greased it since with only 100 hours since then.  Steering is still good and smooth.  It is just so hard to get down there to do this job.  Back seat bottom has to come all the way out.  If you are there and doing the job to free up your rudder it can be done and maybe save you some time later if it gets stiff again you can use the new zerk.
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2022 at 7:42pm
the grease zerk is useless IMO.  My 93 already has one installed..however there is no way to "hold" the grease into the rudder housing..as you fill it using the zerk, the grease will just push out the bottom of the rudder housing, there is no cap or seal to hold it in.  

'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2022 at 8:58pm
For a couple of bucks, just install an 18” extension hose on the rudder housing and make it easy on yourself.  The extension stays in place and no more swearing and contortions trying to get at pesky zerk.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2022 at 7:47am
Originally posted by flyweed flyweed wrote:

the grease zerk is useless IMO.  My 93 already has one installed..however there is no way to "hold" the grease into the rudder housing..as you fill it using the zerk, the grease will just push out the bottom of the rudder housing, there is no cap or seal to hold it in. 

I looked at putting one in and thought the same, doesn't make sense if there's no seal to hold the grease in and water/dirt out. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic