Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Ticking sound at idle on GT40 (shorting plug wire)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ticking sound at idle on GT40 (shorting plug wire)

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Canuck-Surfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck-Surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ticking sound at idle on GT40 (shorting plug wire)
    Posted: July-20-2022 at 1:19am

Tonight I noticed a faint ticking sound on port side of engine. I could not isolate it but its more noticable on side vs front of engine. Sounds erratic and not related to rpms. 

Any ideas? Easiest to hear in video during first second or two and then in last 5 seconds. Its there whole time but easiest to hear at end.

1996 Sport Nautique GT40 EFI
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2022 at 8:01am
huh. Naturally im not there, but that sounds a lot like arcing to me.  try that again at night, it might be...illuminating
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck-Surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2022 at 1:05am
Great recommendation.

So I found some serious issues in the dark test. One of the wires was burned through and was arcing to the block.

I could also see faint light at each of the spark plug boots. A storm was about to hit hard so I didn’t get a chance to test/view other side.

Ken and Gary, I’m wondering if this is related to my idle loping after the new dizzy or even why PIP failed in old dizzy.

The 28 hr old (post rebuild) wires AND plugs are OEM from skidim. What would cause oem wires to fail this soon? Should I be looking from another root cause or ground issue?
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2022 at 2:14pm
Wires need to be carefully routed.  They run right next to the exhaust, exhaust is very hot and can burn right through your wires if they are too close.  They do not need to touch to burn if they run very close it causes issues.   Your light show tells you the plug wires are not up to the job.  Routing is also important, you want to avoid letting wires touch each other as much as possible to avoid wires sparking between each other.

Standard ignition makes and sells good OEM quality plug wires.  Denso offers them, Bosch, Napa I believe still offers Belden Powerpath wires which are high quality, these brands I mention give you original equipment quality not Race type wires.   Your engine should run 20 years on a good set of OEM quality wires.   The hard part is finding the correct lengths to work around your manifolds.   You can measure your old wires and find a set that works or there are some that are sold as a Cut to Fit, you route them, measure and cut then crimp on the proper end for each wire.   I hope some here have part numbers to share and help.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck-Surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2022 at 3:43pm
Thanks man. I am trying to source a set. Routing will be an issue. looking closer, I think these were burnt by the manifold. Also, are you saying that the 8mm OEM PCM wires that are new from last year are poor wires?
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2022 at 5:09pm
No, I am saying PCM does not make wires, they are buying from a supplier.  What they offer is the correct lengths.  Routing issues probably caused your fast failure of wires burned through.

You did say there was a light show at every plug location so the PCM wire set is not containing the spark.  That would tell me to look at another brand.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2022 at 7:10am
Originally posted by Canuck-Surfer Canuck-Surfer wrote:

Ken and Gary, I’m wondering if this is related to my idle loping after the new dizzy or even why PIP failed in old dizzy.

The 28 hr old (post rebuild) wires AND plugs are OEM from skidim. What would cause oem wires to fail this soon? Should I be looking from another root cause or ground issue?

I doubt that the PIP or distributor issues were because of this.

It's getting a little confusing with the same questions in this thread and you "starting issues" thread Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic