Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Distributor cap PCM

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
NeilMcG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilMcG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Distributor cap PCM
    Posted: July-16-2022 at 8:30am
'78 nautique 351
Is the distributor smaller than their automotive counterparts?
The cap I bought at the auto parts store seems too big by just a mm or 2 but looks identical.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2022 at 9:42am
Look on the side of your distributor for a tag or stamping on make and model of the distributor. You don't buy the cap rotor or points by engine model especially at a automotive parts store. Marine distributors are different than their automotive cousins.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2022 at 7:05pm
Neil, ask the parts place for a Standard Motor Products AL 140 or something that cross references to it.

That cap fits the Prestolite clip down cap distributor that was the original distributor on your engine.

It has aluminum contacts, if you wanna spend a bunch more for brass contacts ask for a Standard Motor Products AL 483 or something that cross references to it. Wink

If in doubt click on the link below for some distributor examples

NeilMcG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilMcG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2022 at 10:03pm
Thanks Keno,
I'm sending the one I have to Starsky and Hutch.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2022 at 10:22pm
I sent this to Neil earlier.  These are what I used on my '85 with a clip down distributor, maybe it will help others in the future when Ken exhibits his search talents.

friz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2022 at 8:44am
  I have a PCM Waukesha Ford 302, '73. About 5 hours of run time ago I went to Car Quest Auto and bought a distributor cap. It cost $33! I am assuming it is automotive. As I said, it has worked fine for about 5 hours of run time.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2022 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by friz friz wrote:

I have a PCM Waukesha Ford 302, '73. About 5 hours of run time ago I went to Car Quest Auto and bought a distributor cap. It cost $33! I am assuming it is automotive. As I said, it has worked fine for about 5 hours of run time.

I'm trying to figure out the exclamation point after the price, is it because you think you got a good deal or you think they bent you over the counter and..............well you know Wink

What was the part number?

Was it a Prestolite distributor with a clip down cap?

Did it come with a rubber gasket, or if it didn't did you reuse the old one if it was there on the old one?

friz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2022 at 9:02am
When I first started buying distributor caps I recall them costing about $5!

Part number is PRM 18-5376

The receipt is dated 10/13/21. The box is long gone. I have no idea of the manufacturer. Googling the PN may give you a hint.

Would have to go out to the boat to see if it is clip down or other. At any rate, it matched the distributor.

I don't recall ever buying a distributor cap without a replacement gasket. Although in these days of cheap cost cutting crap from the chicoms I would not be surprised. I honestly don't remember.

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2022 at 9:18pm
If you paid $5 for a cap in 2021 you should have bought every one of them, and then sold them for $20 
Both buyer and seller would have made out. Big smile
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2022 at 9:21pm
Googling the part number tells me it's a Sierra cap for a Prestolite with a clip down cap.

NAPA and some other outfits sell Sierra stuff under their name with the same part number.

Back when you were paying 5 bucks for a cap, gas was probably about 28 cents a gallon  and a loaf of bread was 20 cents or so too Wink

A little Ebay shopping will find you the clip down caps for a fair amount less too if you know what to look for.
NeilMcG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilMcG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2022 at 1:12am
So the saga continues:
Discovered tonight that many of those tiny bronze contact cubes in my pertronix ignitor sleeve rotor adapter are no longer embedded nicely...in fact they're awol. After searching online for hours for part numbers matching what I have, I've given up and am just going to throw in a new kit. The ignitor 1581LS, which is what kept coming up, says in bold letters: "Not for use with solid core wires." So i'm completely stumped.
Any recommendations on a good e-converstion kit? 351 RH '78

friz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2022 at 7:47am

For my 1973 Waukesha Ford 302. Plug and play. Easy peasy.

PerTronix ML-181 Ignitor for Mallory 8 Cylinder
Sold by: Amazon.com Services LLC
Condition: New
$79.99
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2022 at 7:59am
So whatcha got for wires?

Are you sure they're solid core or are they suppression type wires?

It will say on the wires what they are.

Are they new? got a brand and part number?

Those little cubes are magnets and if you're missing 5 for example you'll have an engine that runs on 3 cylinders.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2022 at 8:02am

$79.99

Uh Friz..................that Mallory conversion won't exactly work in his Prestolite distributor Wink
NeilMcG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilMcG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2022 at 10:05am

$79.99

The problem is that mine's not a Mallory.
NeilMcG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilMcG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2022 at 10:14am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Those little cubes are magnets and if you're missing 5 for example you'll have an engine that runs on 3 cylinders.

I got accel super stock. Was just what the 'O'Reilly guy slapped on the counter. I think they're stranded, but that black core makes me wonder.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2022 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by NeilMcG NeilMcG wrote:

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I got accel super stock. Was just what the 'O'Reilly guy slapped on the counter. I think they're stranded, but that black core makes me wonder.

They're suppression core wires, no problem using them
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic