NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

93 SN carpet and upholstery renovation

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 93 SN carpet and upholstery renovation
    Posted: July-08-2022 at 3:40pm
So, I finally decided it's time to dig in and replace the carpeting in my 1993 SN closed bow.  I have been going back and forth for over a year trying to decide on whether to "upgrade" to something like "sea deck" as I like the look of it, and how easy it is to clean, however after thinking it over, I have opted to keep my boat as "original" as possible, and put carpet back in.

So it begins!!  

'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2022 at 3:54pm
As you guys can see..my in floor "cooler" lid is pretty much shot. the piano hinge is rusted away, as are all of the fasteners, and the two little pieces of wood that stiffen the hinge area are shot as well. I am thinking of cutting a piece of marine grade plywood, and just making a solid cover. However,  I need to think of what thickness to use. Once carpeted, I don't want it too thick or too thin.   Should I got with 1/2" ply, or 3/4" ply?   Thoughts? 

flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2022 at 3:46pm
day #2.   Driver seat successfully removed (new seat adjustment rails are ordered) these babies are toast! 

Carpet has been removed. Now just removing old adhesive and waiting for new carpet to arrive.

flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2022 at 3:51pm
So my question before I cut and start to lay my new carpet, does the black trim/channel that goes all the way along the sides of the boat get glued down first, and then you cut and tuck the carpet into that trim channel?  Or do you cut carpet to outer walls first, then fit the trim channel onto the carpet, and then glue it down? 

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2022 at 10:08am
IIRC.  I glued down the trim, left the carpet long glued it down then trimmed and tucked it in with a small putty knife. 
Are you going to put it under the motor frame and gas tank? If not, what do you plan on doing with the edge along the engine frame and the tank?
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2022 at 10:17am
on my 93 that carpet doesn't go under the gas tank, there is a finish strip much like the sides of the boat in front of the gas tank. So carpet will get tucked into that.  For the metal engine frame I cut the carpet right up to the edge, and cleaned the edge up so no old carpet is sticking out..then will glue the new carpet right up to that edge.  

flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2022 at 11:41am
Getting closer...the carpet is IN, just trimming it out now, replacing driver seat hardware, refinished my throttle knob and starting to put back together. 

flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2022 at 1:19pm
Carpet is all done, and now working on new skins/replacement. 

Few pics of carpet with battery lid and cooler lid redone. 

flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2022 at 1:21pm
By the way, I DID take out the ski pole...WHAT A PAIN IN THE REAR.  2 U bolts and then another bolt and lock nut through the base. Not enough room to get 2 hands in there. I do NOT recommend removing the ski pole if you can at all help it!  I have it back in now, but again PITA! 

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2022 at 1:33pm
Nice work Dan
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Bamanautique91 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bamanautique91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2022 at 11:21pm
Looks great!.. I think I might tackle the same job this off-season on my 91.

I'm jealous of your non slip Nautique rubber behind your platform and above your rear pylon. Wish they still made that so I could do the same.

Ryan

91 Ski Nautique
Huntsville, AL
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2022 at 8:34pm
Well, she's all back together. New upholstery, new carpet, a good wash, wax and buff and she looks good as new. 

Bamanautique91 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bamanautique91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2022 at 8:37pm
Beautiful!
Ryan

91 Ski Nautique
Huntsville, AL
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2022 at 8:39pm
Some more pics......

flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2022 at 8:42pm
and a few more........

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic