Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Key Off, Ignition Off, Check Engine Light comes On
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Key Off, Ignition Off, Check Engine Light comes On

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bwylie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwylie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Key Off, Ignition Off, Check Engine Light comes On
    Posted: July-06-2022 at 9:10am
I have a 99 SN GT-40 EFI.  The other day we came in from skiing, turned off the key (we leave it in the ignition), turned off the ignition breaker and left the boat.  Later that day some folks stopped by and noticed that my Check Engine light was on.  The key was still in the off position and the ignition breaker was off (out).  Finally, to get the light to turn off, I turned the key, engine cranked and light went off.  I thought it was strange but but then it got stranger.  The next day I went down to the boat (we hadn't used it again as the water turned rough the next day) and the Check Engine light was on again - since the sun wasn't on the boat I noticed that the depth finder/water temp gauge was lit up as well.  Same thing to get the light to turn off.

Any ideas as to why this could/would be happening with the ignition breaker off?

Thanks 
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2022 at 6:06am
I guess nobody wants to jump in here

I'd take my trusty multimeter and do some checking to figure out where the power is coming from.

As a start, check the output from the breaker when it's open/off and also the Ign terminal on the keyswitch when it's off too. You'd expect zero, but you never know till you check it Wink

I think you have a 2 plug connector for the light, it seems like you'll find some voltage there and you'll see what color the wires are and be able to trace things backwards.

Here's a link to a 2001 model year dash pod wiring diagram, it's for a keypad system but the rest of the dash and instrument wiring should be pretty much the same Warning light is at the top center of the diagram.

bwylie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwylie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2022 at 10:56am
Thanks Keno - I retrieved my multimeter from home - nothing is ever where you need it - and I've been waiting for it to happen again to start tracing.  Once it happens, I'll post an update.... 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic