Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Eliminating trim/carpet replacement '82 SN2001

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Hobart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hobart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eliminating trim/carpet replacement '82 SN2001
    Posted: July-05-2022 at 5:45pm
Hi everyone. I'm about to replace all of the carpet in my 1982 SN2001, and I'm planning on eliminating the rubber strips that go along the floor at the sides and also along the sides of the bilge-access panel behind the engine. Have any of you done this? I'm wondering if I should glue in the side-carpets first, and overlap them onto the floor about an inch or so; and then glue the floor-carpet down on top of the overlap, fitting it as tightly as possible to the sides. Any tips on that (or any other aspect of this job) are appreciated! Just FYI, I ordered 20oz cut-pile marine carpet, Henry 663 adhesive for the floor, and 3M 90 Spray Adhesive for the sides. Thanks!

1982 SN2001
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2022 at 5:53pm
Well, can't speak from experience (because it was already done) but the prior owner ('82 SN) had the carpet replaced with no plastic strips. The sides and floor is one giant piece, the bilge floor and batt over separate of course. Seems to have been done well with no issues.
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2022 at 8:40pm
We did bottom carpet a couple inches up the sides. Then side carpet coming down and buried into the pile. Used outdoor carpet glue and 77 (I think) for the overlap. Worked well and the pile of the floor carpet hid the “seam”.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2022 at 2:38pm

Use your old carpet as a pattern when you pull it out. That is how most us do this when replacing the carpet. Glad you’re using 20oz carpet for I wished I did. As to the black rubber strips, I really didn’t have any problems getting them back in place. They went down pretty easy, no tricks to it. You’ll need it on the port side when laying the new carpet down for the way it will lays up with the side and floor.  You’ll understand what I’m talking about when you start pulling the old carpet out. But I guess you could lay it up where they will meet to look seamless. I believe I put the floor in first and then the sides when putting the carpet back in. Use the correct glue when doing this. Not sure how well the 3M spray adhesive will work.I used Dap All Weather Outdoor Adhesive on the floor and sides. You will use about 7/8's of the galloon. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic