Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Head bolt problem

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
NeilMcG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilMcG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Head bolt problem
    Posted: July-02-2022 at 7:28pm
Hey All,

Discovered the washers weren't installed with arp's.
I've been removing the bolts one by one, but the lower bolt at cylinder 4 (this is a reverse rotation 351, so aft starboard) won't budge and I've started to strip it slightly.
Is there a water jacket issue? I'm reluctant to mess with further for fear of stripping it completely. Can I leave as-is and carry on with the others and be ok, or is this game over?
Neil
‐-------------
The fountains of Bellagio are not dancing tonight.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2022 at 9:22pm
If you mean that you're rounding the head off while trying to loosen the bolt, you could leave it alone and carry on.

There's no water jacket issue with head bolts on the 351w. They're blind holes in the block that penetrate nothing Wink

So......game on, the fountains will be dancing again

Do you know the part number of your ARP bolts? As a guess, if they're 154-3603 they take a 9/16 socket. Make sure it's a 6 point

PS..............cylinder 4 is cylinder 4 no matter which way the engine rotates
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2022 at 9:46pm
Not sure but the bolt may be bottomed out in that hole with no washer on it.   ARP bolts are high quality and it would take one heck of a twist to strip it.  Are you sure you have the correct socket size?  Are you using a 6 point socket or are these bolts the 12 point style?   Why are they being removed?   You might have more success by making sure the surrounding bolts are all torqued and tight to take some stress off the reluctant bolt.   I don't remember torque on those bolts but it is most likely under 100 FT Pounds so should come out easy?

NeilMcG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilMcG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2022 at 10:31pm
Boy that's what i was hoping to hear! I think the problem may have been that I used a 3.5 extension wich probably contributed to the lack of purchase. Moment arms and Habor Freight.
They are six point and maybe it was the only the extension that allowed this to happen. They are impact sockets so it probably was that against one stubborn bolt.
NeilMcG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilMcG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2022 at 10:39pm
I removed them because i grew more concerned about not having the washers on. I got 19 of 20 removed and replaced and the one that won't come out went in nicely the first time without the washer and torqued without any drama and is flush against the head. But since the head is slightly rounded now i just have to accept that it's not coming off. I'm just leave it alone and hope for the best.
Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic