Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First time barefooting

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MonsterSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonsterSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First time barefooting
    Posted: June-28-2022 at 11:12am
Hey,

we got ourselves a used barefoot boom and finally tried barefooting.
What an experience! First try was a succes. Every muscle in my body hurts after the weekend!

The Boom isn't perfect for the '92 Barefoot Nautique. I think it needs to be extended to avoid the boats spray and also I feel like it could be a bit higher above the water line.

I will have to work on my posture. Any tips?
Can't wait to try long line!
98 Ski Nautique 196 (current)
08 Mastercraft ProStar 197 (current)
88 Ski Nautique 2001 (sold)
92 Barefoot Nautique (sold)
01 Ski Nautique 196 (sold)
93 Ski Centurion Tru Trac III (sold)
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2022 at 4:53pm
Nice start.  Good leg and body form (sitting in a chair) Just straighten your arms out.  You can always move right to long line (as you may have suggested?), but I would suggest short line (5-foot handle) off the boom first.  (You may raise your boom a bit by putting a throwable cushion or 2 under it on the gunnel) You may or may not opt to use a starting aid (surf board, wake board (minus bindings) knee board) to help get feel of the start.  If going right to deep start (and tip 4  also applies to using a board) a few key points:  (1) stay stiff as a board.  (2) drive your head and shoulder blades down to bottom of lake at start up. (3) Dont sit up until planing on top of water or your butt will just act like a big brake  (4) Dont slam straight legs down onto water to stand up. Once sitting up,  pull your heels all the way back to your butt, glide on butt and feet, then move weight to feet.  

Here is the full learning sequence in the video.  Kid was a quick study, went from never tried to short line deep start in one morning session.

(563) Barefoot Ian - YouTube">(563) Barefoot Ian - YouTube  (click on the second part of the link.  Not sure why the first part is there)

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2022 at 5:21pm
Man, I wish the instructions were available when I learned 35 years ago.  Total instruction we got was, GO 40 MPH, Step off ski!  Hang On.   With that solid advice it probably took me 40 tries before I was barefooting.  My buddy and I learned exactly the same at the same time and both succeeded on the same weekend.   With modern GOOD advice we have had guys make it on the first try.   
In my opinion there is night and day difference on the boom compared to open water.   The Boom gives you a lot of stability that goes away on open water but it is great for learning positions and how quick you faceplant when a toe catches.   
Doing a deep start at least behind my Nautique there is a prop wash wave that will hit you right about the time you are going fast enough to sit up, behind my boat I wait till I bounce over that prop wash before sitting up.   I found deep water starts much easier and cleaner than stepping off a ski or wakeboard.
Mark
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic