Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Loss of Power when Speeding Up

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
waterdude49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterdude49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loss of Power when Speeding Up
    Posted: June-27-2022 at 10:27pm
I posted this on FB as well, but the help and forum on here is top notch and usually a tad more specific.

After some issues with the alternator not charging my battery (previous post), I replaced the alternator. While I was at it, I also replaced the coil pack (made sure to get the style with an internal resistor) and I replaced my in-line fuel filter as my other one was looking bad.

I went to water test her tonight, and she fired right up, idled just fine, however; when I got the boat up to 30-35mph, she lost everything and stalled out. It took a few minutes for her to turn back over, but she did and idled fine (idled for about 20minutes), brought her up to 25mph and after 50-75ft same issue, she completely stops running. She almost acts like her fuel supply runs out and she stops, what’s weird is that there is no gradual loss of momentum as if you just ran out of gas, but rather a very abrupt loss of power.

1. This has to be fuel related, correct?
2. My inline fuel filter is a 3/8thplastic inline filter that I have after the fuel pump (before the carb), does anyone else have one located there? Could the inline filter be causing to much restriction to the carb?

Carburetor was rebuilt (new to me) last season.

This is a Ford 302 (reverse) on a '78 CC American Skier

Any other ideas I should be thinking through?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2022 at 6:18am
Since you have a clear plastic fuel filter, when the engine quits, is there fuel in the filter or is it empty like it ran out of gas?

What do you mean by "took a few minutes to turn back over" ?   It wouldn't turn over at all or it turned over and over and over but wouldn't start.

Have you checked for spark right after it dies?

You can get a cheap inline spark tester at Harbor Freight or most any parts place.

See the link for a Harbor freight tester

You can plug it into your #1 plug wire and drive around, then when it dies, lift the engine box and turn the key and look to see if it's sparking

Then you can probably narrow the problem down to fuel or spark. Wink

Since the last thing you did was change something in the ignition system for whatever reason, that might be a good area to suspect as the cause if the boat ran good before that was done.

What's  the part number of the new coil?

Points or electronic ignition?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterdude49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2022 at 8:30am

This is actually super helpful!

The engine would turn over and over but wouldn’t start. The inline fuel filter would be either empty or have a just a little bit, as I turn the key, I watch it slowly bump gas up.

I was thinking this morning that this issue reminded me of a couple of years ago when the pertronix pickup went bad, she is a points converted to electronic.

I’ll purchase the inline spark tester, I’m wondering if it’s time to just go full electronic… pending this test of course.

The coil Pack is a PerTrnoix Flame Thrower Canister from Advance Auto

David

mosinee77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mosinee77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2022 at 9:42am
In light of your fuel filter being empty, I would start there as your problem... I would be checking the fuel pickup from the tank for being plugged, the gas needs to be free flowing....

This being said, once you look at the fuel issue, I have had new coils go bad directly out of the box. This includes both standard ne OEM coils and high end MSD coils for my cars. Manufacturing of these are not what it used to be. If you still have issues after fixing the fuel system, if the old coil was still working I would put it back on and go for a run and see what happens...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterdude49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2022 at 9:57am
I'll take a look again, I did tear into this 2yrs ago, and the screen was clean the pickup (old aluminum, welded to the tank style) was free. I did replace the anti-siphon as that was gummed up. 
mosinee77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mosinee77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2022 at 12:07pm
I think you will find something plugged...... also, make sure that if your filter is directional, that you have it positioned properly....Wink

If you have adequate supply, then the next thing to look at will be if the fuel pump is still pumping as it should, and not starting to fail (since your filter is on the outlet of the pump).....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic