Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

87-2000 loosing power

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
karthur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 87-2000 loosing power
    Posted: June-21-2022 at 3:11pm
I sold my boat last year to a friend of mine. He used it all last summer without any issues.  Just took it out last w/e and he says that it runs good, but gradually looses power. He said that if he raises the clamp shell, it will perk back up and run good for a while. He said he has to drive it with the clamp shell open or it will bog down. ConfusedConfused

Anybody ever heard of such? Almost sounds like it might be running hot, but opening the shell wouldn't do much to cool it down.  Where does the fresh air come from that the carb is pulling in? I just assume that it pulls it from the cracks and crevices, but never really thought about it.  I just wonder if a critter got in there and built a nest that may have clogged up the air intake.

I never ran it with the clamp shell open just for safety reasons.

Thanks
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2022 at 6:37pm
The air comes in from 2 ducts in front of the windshield and it goes into the forward area of the bilge, the engine uses some and some flows out the back ducting 

Maybe check to see if the engine box might be pushing on the throttle cable and it's bracket when the box is down. That probably wouldn't explain a gradual loss of power though.
karthur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2022 at 10:50pm
I looked at the boat just to see what was going on. Seemed really weird to me. I found one of the mufflers were cracked along on of the seams.
Would that cause the gradual lose of power? I thought it could if the engine was pulling in exhaust fumes rather than fresh air. I could not see any issues with the fresh air intake or any placed when the linkage had rubbed on the clam shell.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic