NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Water pump leak: gasket options?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Erikgundy98 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erikgundy98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water pump leak: gasket options?
    Posted: June-21-2022 at 11:05am
So here is my water pump leaking after I replaced the impeller and o-ring and paper gasket.

My gut tells me the little paper gasket is not doing its job. I have made my own gaskets out of gasketmaker in the past, but what is your preferred method? Gaskaseal?  Trace and use a better gasket? I scraped all of the old gasket off and have very clean surfaces on both sides.  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qPz8NSo3ldpsIruP2JRoRjScz4but56E/view?usp=sharing

Last year I just dealt with the leak (it was smaller last year), and as you can see, it is right at the paper gasket. But really, the o-ring seemed like it was the right overall diameter (2" ish), but tiny and not very thick (*but was identical to the o-ring I pulled out)

This is what I replaced https://www.nautiqueparts.com/product/impeller-pcm-gm-for-non-serpentine-belt-engines-rp061017/ and impellers were the exact same size (same purchase as last year). 

Thoughts?  Thanks in advance! 

This is a 1994 SN w/ Ford engine. I have no overheating issues, just doing routine maintenance :)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2022 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Erikgundy98 Erikgundy98 wrote:

This is what I replaced https://www.nautiqueparts.com/product/impeller-pcm-gm-for-non-serpentine-belt-engines-rp061017/ and impellers were the exact same size (same purchase as last year). 

My gut tells me that you've linked the wrong impeller or you have some mighty strong fingers to squeeze that  RP061017 impeller into your pump. And stronger arms to make the pump halves bolt together. Wink

The PCM number for your pump is R061015  (Or Sherwood 9959K)

Assuming you linked the wrong impeller, I'm thinking you should make sure both surfaces are flat with some lapping compound or sandpaper on a flat plate and then use a little Permatex2 or some equivalent type non hardening sealer on both sides of the gasket.

To check both sides you need a plate that has a hole in the middle for the shaft to stick thru while lapping.

Erikgundy98 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erikgundy98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2022 at 5:45pm
yes. I posted the wrong link.

https://www.nautiqueparts.com/product/sherwood-impeller-kit-pcm-is-rp061015/
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2022 at 6:19pm

Well that's a relief Wink

Just check those surfaces flat and a little sealer should do it
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2022 at 10:39pm
Where do the paper gaskets go?
As far as I can remember all mine (85, 95, 2000) just has a brass backing plate and the O-ring and they never leaked 🤔
2001SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2022 at 2:01am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Well that's a relief Wink

Just check those surfaces flat and a little sealer should do it

Agreed.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

2001 Super Air Nautique
1989 Fairline Corniche 31

www.bannrivercruises.co.uk
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2022 at 6:07am
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Where do the paper gaskets go?
As far as I can remember all mine (85, 95, 2000) just has a brass backing plate and the O-ring and they never leaked 🤔

Click on the link for a Sherwood Catalog, go to page 32 Wink

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2022 at 9:07am
Thanks Ken 
I guess mine is on there and I just never noticed it 🤔
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2022 at 9:16am
Some of the older(like mid 70's) pumps probably called G20 instead of G21 had a completely different plate that had a notch and fit into a recess in the bearing housing

It only needed the O ring and no paper gasket.

The paper gasket showed up with the bigger wear plate that wasn't set into a recess.

Here's a picture of the G20 plate recessed into the bearing housing on a pump from 1976

And a picture of couple of the later style next to the old style

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2022 at 7:25pm
Guess that's why they include so many gaskets in the kit, must be a one fit all type deal.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2022 at 8:07pm
That's because the same impeller kit with all those gaskets fits a lot of pumps whose name isn't spelled Sherwood 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic