NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Muffler Related to Overheat?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muffler Related to Overheat?
    Posted: June-19-2022 at 1:57pm
I think that if I wanted to check for loose baffles etc without removing all the hoses and removing the muffler, I'd take one inlet hose off (easy to say, harder to do) and run a garden hose full blast into the muffler and see if there's any rattling going on as the water passes through it
cboland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cboland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2022 at 1:04pm
On further thought, all of my use so far this year has been relatively easy going slow speeds. Nothing above about 30 MPH so I suppose it makes sense that a somewhat compromised impeller could keep up. Give her hell like yesterday and it’s maybe a different story. I wouldn’t think the marginally lower amount of water flow would create all the additional sound (which I kind of like, but understand other riders in the back of the boat may not) but maybe so.

Will check out the impeller tomorrow and probably report back that y’all were right. Per usual. I hope.
Bud

1999 Sport Nautique
cboland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cboland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2022 at 12:55pm
Eh, I appreciate you guys sticking to the simple fixes. And no, I haven’t yet inspected the impeller - that will happen tomorrow. I hope it’s as simple as that.

Unfortunately, I’m suspecting that may not be the issue. It has run at 160 on the dot every time it’s been run this year except for the 15 minute ride yesterday they I spoke of.
Bud

1999 Sport Nautique
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2022 at 11:59am
Yup. What KENO said X 2.
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2022 at 11:18am
Could the dots be telling you something like maybe a failing impeller was causing high temps and some more noise too, due to low water flow?

At least as a starting point, it's a lot easier to check the impeller than pull the muffler out Wink
cboland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cboland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2022 at 9:09am
Can someone help me connect the dots? 

The last two outings in the boat ('99 Sport w/ GT40) I noticed the boat seems unusually loud from 23 mph to about 28 mph, but didn't think much of it.  Then yesterday, after going pretty hard for 10 or 15 minutes, the temp went up to 180 or even a little higher and would not come down.

After poking around on the forum, I see a few posts about how a failing Hull Hugr muffler can contribute to an overheat, so I'm starting to think these two issues (louder exhaust and overheat) are related to the muffler.  However, I'm still not clear what I should be looking for and what needs to be fixed if I were to pull the muffler.  Any insights?
Bud

1999 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic