Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Velvet Drive transmission ?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Wichitabub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wichitabub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Velvet Drive transmission ?
    Posted: June-11-2022 at 12:33pm
Recently the transmission fluid blew out the the dipstick hole,and am not sure what happened. I was not present,but the driver said that the fluid level was checked and ok. I don’t know if the cap was tightened,or if it was indeed full of fluid. Anyone had similar issues ? Oh, it’s in a 83 Ski Nautique 2001 with a 351 engine. Thanks Bob in Wichita
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2022 at 7:21pm
I think I'd probably inspect the rubber expandable seal on the dipstick and if it's in good shape, make sure your fluid level is right and screw the dipstick handle nice and snug and see what happens when you use it again before getting too excited...

The transmission has a breather on it that's normally closed and will open at a few pounds or so of internal pressure. See the picture below, the orange line is pointing at the breather.

If you have pressure building up, the breather should open before the dipstick pops out.

cbr1000dude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2022 at 7:31pm
It only holds about two quarts, so drain it from the lower plug and see how much there is and if it has water in it (milky). The transmission cooler may be the source of any water if it is faulty, they aren't that expensive to replace, cheaper than a trans.
I guess Keno and I were typing at the same time!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wichitabub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2022 at 9:43pm
We filled the transmission with fresh Dextron III and the boat would only go about 5 miles per hour. What do you think ?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2022 at 6:39am
Originally posted by Wichitabub Wichitabub wrote:

We filled the transmission with fresh Dextron III and the boat would only go about 5 miles per hour. What do you think ?

I think there's a transmission rebuild in your future.

Is it slipping and revving up a lot to go those 5 mph?

Was the original fluid discolored and burnt smelling or maybe pinkish and looking like a strawberry milkshake?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wichitabub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2022 at 1:10pm
The fluid smells like it got hot,and the top end was around 5mph,so what’s probably happened inside the transmission ?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2022 at 5:35am
Burnt fluid, and lots of slippage means your forward clutch plates are shot.

The friction material on the plates is probably gone.

The only fix is tearing it apart for a rebuild.

Sometimes you get lucky and filling it back to normal level works if it was caught real quick

You could try snake oil type cures, but you'd be wasting your money and getting your hopes up

It's coming up on it 40th birthday soon..............give it an overhaul for a present Wink

And, check that your transmission oil cooler is clean on the water side. If it was blocked/highly restricted with junk it could cause the fluid to overheat, but usually the engine overheats before the transmission does.

If you send it out for a rebuild, many times the warranty is only good if you replace the cooler at the same time.

If you do it yourself, then that choice is up to you, but like CBR dude mentioned they're not that expensive.

And while things are that far apart, it would be a good idea to replace the damper plate on the flywheel too because you can't really tell if it's good or bad and if it dies a couple of weeks after the transmission is reinstalled........., well you won't be a happy boater.

They're around a hundred bucks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic