Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1978 Ski Tique Raw Water Pump Leaking

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TiquEd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiquEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1978 Ski Tique Raw Water Pump Leaking
    Posted: May-30-2022 at 10:14pm
Getting this boat ironed out after purchasing a few months ago.  The raw water pump is leaking out of the little holes.  What does that mean and what is needed to be done to fix? 

1978 Ski Tique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2022 at 4:19pm
Can't see a whole lot in the picture, but the holes are there to tell you that the mechanical seal is leaking and let the water leak out so that it doesn't get to the bearings in the pump body.

It looks like a Sherwood pump on a Commander engine and if you know the number/style of pump you can get a seal kit or a rebuild kit  or send it to a pump rebuilder to have it done.

Here's a couple of links to some reading

and you can weed through the various threads in the link below too   Wink

TiquEd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiquEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2022 at 10:33pm
Thanks Keno.  I read those links and it looks like I have a Jabsco?  Pic below.  It was taken up side down so I rotated the pic so you can read it.  Any more information you can tell me?  I searching for parts. after this post.

1978 Ski Tique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2022 at 7:40am
OK............so it's a Jabsco that looks like a Sherwood Wink

If you google "Depco Pumps" or "Pump Agents" they're places that sell parts and repair pumps and could probably help you with your pump whether it's sending you parts or them doing the work.

The hard part might be figuring out the pump number,( as a guess it might be a Jabsco 18830-0010 since it was one of  the replacements for the original plastic bodied pumps)  but things like the bearings, seals etc are pretty standard off the shelf stuff.

Pump inlet and outlet size would help determine which pump you have.

How bad is the leak?

Are you having cooling issues?

Some people have lived with a small leak till it got worse or affected the cooling. It's not the best temporary approach but it works as long as you monitor it and you have a good bilge pump.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic