Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

289 reverse. rotation distributor direction

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Tommyboy1904 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommyboy1904 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 289 reverse. rotation distributor direction
    Posted: May-25-2022 at 12:41pm
Ok 1967 mustang 289 w/ 351 cam, reverse rotation. Most distrib rotate counter clockwise, some like mine rotate clockwise. Regardless of engine rotation. Starting at tdc on #1 does firing order go clockwise with rotor rotation or counter clockwise against rotor rotation. Now thats a question of the day! Who can help me out
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2022 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Tommyboy1904 Tommyboy1904 wrote:

Most distrib rotate counter clockwise, some like mine rotate clockwise.

If it’s rotating clockwise, the engine is spinning backwards.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2022 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Tommyboy1904 Tommyboy1904 wrote:

Ok 1967 mustang 289 w/ 351 cam, reverse rotation. Most distrib rotate counter clockwise, some like mine rotate clockwise. Regardless of engine rotation. Starting at tdc on #1 does firing order go clockwise with rotor rotation or counter clockwise against rotor rotation. Now thats a question of the day! Who can help me out

There must be more to this story, maybe something like "my reverse rotation SBF engine doesn't run and the distributor rotor is rotating clockwise when I look at it"  Have you put a new starter in it and now it's not starting?

If that's the case, you can help yourself out by installing a starter that spins the engine the right way, and the distributor will rotate counter clockwise and then have a chance of starting.

If it's rotating backwards, there's not a firing order in existence that'll make it run.

If you make it rotate the right way, then your firing order going counterclockwise around the cap would be 1 8 4 5 6 2 7 3 with a Reverse Rotation 351w cam.

How did the transmission issue from a couple of years ago turn out?

So the answer to your question of the day depends on you giving more info Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic